Hotpot of Brussels sprouts, chorizo and barley
Sunday 28 December 2008
The unique flavour of chorizo lends itself well to the nuttiness of the sprouts and the earthiness of the barley.
200g/7oz pearl barley
75g/3oz chorizo, cubed
1 onion, peeled and sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/4 bunch thyme
1/2 tsp table salt
1 tsp smoked paprika
2 tbsp tomato purée
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp soya sauce
200ml/7fl oz vegetable stock
2 tbsp unsalted butter
200g/7oz Brussels sprouts, halved
1/2 tsp table salt
Place the pearl barley into a saucepan and cover with cold water. Simmer gently for around 20 -25 minutes until al dente. Meanwhile, heat a deep frying pan and add the chorizo.
Cook until the oil begins to seep out (roughly five minutes), then add the onion, garlic, thyme and salt. Cook until the onions have lightly caramelised. Add the paprika, tomato purée, vinegar, soya sauce and stock and mix well.
Add the drained pearl barley and allow to simmer very gently for about 10 minutes. Heat a large frying pan with the butter; when hot, add the sprouts and seasoning and cook until lightly golden. Add to the pan of barley and cook until soft. Serve with crusty bread by the fireplace.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Woman 'suffocates newborn baby in plastic bag and puts it in her desk minutes after giving birth'
- 2 I've been called an abusive and dangerous parent, when all I did was listen to my transgender child
- 3 Company breaks open Apple Watch to discover what it says is 'planned obsolescence'
- 4 Teaching profession headed for crisis as numbers continue to drop and working lives become 'unbearable'
- 5 Chinese student carries disabled friend to school every day for three years
iJobs Food & Drink
£35 - 45k: Guru Careers: An MI Developer is needed to join the leading provide...
£20000 - £22500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This leisure organisation manag...
£25000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Delivering an inspiring, engagi...
£17500 - £20500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They are looking for a great te...