Hotpot of Brussels sprouts, chorizo and barley
Sunday 28 December 2008
The unique flavour of chorizo lends itself well to the nuttiness of the sprouts and the earthiness of the barley.
200g/7oz pearl barley
75g/3oz chorizo, cubed
1 onion, peeled and sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/4 bunch thyme
1/2 tsp table salt
1 tsp smoked paprika
2 tbsp tomato purée
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp soya sauce
200ml/7fl oz vegetable stock
2 tbsp unsalted butter
200g/7oz Brussels sprouts, halved
1/2 tsp table salt
Place the pearl barley into a saucepan and cover with cold water. Simmer gently for around 20 -25 minutes until al dente. Meanwhile, heat a deep frying pan and add the chorizo.
Cook until the oil begins to seep out (roughly five minutes), then add the onion, garlic, thyme and salt. Cook until the onions have lightly caramelised. Add the paprika, tomato purée, vinegar, soya sauce and stock and mix well.
Add the drained pearl barley and allow to simmer very gently for about 10 minutes. Heat a large frying pan with the butter; when hot, add the sprouts and seasoning and cook until lightly golden. Add to the pan of barley and cook until soft. Serve with crusty bread by the fireplace.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Forget 'The Dress': Here are five of the biggest news stories you might have missed
- 2 The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
- 3 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 4 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 5 Saudi Muslim cleric claims the Earth is 'stationary' and the sun rotates around it
iJobs Food & Drink
£12500 - £36000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This established Knaresborough ...
£23,000: Beverley James: Do you have a background in hospitality and are you l...
£26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The post holder is a key member of the V...
£18000 - £28800 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Vehicle Breakdown Recovery Driv...