Hotpot of Brussels sprouts, chorizo and barley
Sunday 28 December 2008
The unique flavour of chorizo lends itself well to the nuttiness of the sprouts and the earthiness of the barley.
200g/7oz pearl barley
75g/3oz chorizo, cubed
1 onion, peeled and sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/4 bunch thyme
1/2 tsp table salt
1 tsp smoked paprika
2 tbsp tomato purée
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp soya sauce
200ml/7fl oz vegetable stock
2 tbsp unsalted butter
200g/7oz Brussels sprouts, halved
1/2 tsp table salt
Place the pearl barley into a saucepan and cover with cold water. Simmer gently for around 20 -25 minutes until al dente. Meanwhile, heat a deep frying pan and add the chorizo.
Cook until the oil begins to seep out (roughly five minutes), then add the onion, garlic, thyme and salt. Cook until the onions have lightly caramelised. Add the paprika, tomato purée, vinegar, soya sauce and stock and mix well.
Add the drained pearl barley and allow to simmer very gently for about 10 minutes. Heat a large frying pan with the butter; when hot, add the sprouts and seasoning and cook until lightly golden. Add to the pan of barley and cook until soft. Serve with crusty bread by the fireplace.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 2 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 3 George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
- 4 Lady al-Qa’ida: On the trail of Dr Aafia Siddiqui, the world’s most wanted prisoner
- 5 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Food & Drink
£30 - 35k + Uncapped Comission (£70k Y1 OTE): Guru Careers: A Business Develop...
£18k + Uncapped Commission (£60k Y1 OTE): Guru Careers: A Graduate Sales Exe...
£25 - 60k (DOE): Guru Careers: A Web Developer / Software Developer is needed ...
£6000 - £50000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: Oracle 11...