Hotpot of Brussels sprouts, chorizo and barley
Sunday 28 December 2008
The unique flavour of chorizo lends itself well to the nuttiness of the sprouts and the earthiness of the barley.
200g/7oz pearl barley
75g/3oz chorizo, cubed
1 onion, peeled and sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/4 bunch thyme
1/2 tsp table salt
1 tsp smoked paprika
2 tbsp tomato purée
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp soya sauce
200ml/7fl oz vegetable stock
2 tbsp unsalted butter
200g/7oz Brussels sprouts, halved
1/2 tsp table salt
Place the pearl barley into a saucepan and cover with cold water. Simmer gently for around 20 -25 minutes until al dente. Meanwhile, heat a deep frying pan and add the chorizo.
Cook until the oil begins to seep out (roughly five minutes), then add the onion, garlic, thyme and salt. Cook until the onions have lightly caramelised. Add the paprika, tomato purée, vinegar, soya sauce and stock and mix well.
Add the drained pearl barley and allow to simmer very gently for about 10 minutes. Heat a large frying pan with the butter; when hot, add the sprouts and seasoning and cook until lightly golden. Add to the pan of barley and cook until soft. Serve with crusty bread by the fireplace.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Scottish referendum: So how about the English now being given a chance to split from England?
- 2 Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
- 3 London council removes 'unacceptable' Stamford Hill posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 4 The response to my Pizza Express review has been overwhelming, and taught me a lot about journalism
- 5 Free U2 album: How the most generous giveaway in music history turned into a PR disaster
iJobs Food & Drink
£18000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: ***EXCELLENT OPPORTUNITY FO...
Basic of £18,000 + commission, realistic OTE of £30-£50k : Ocean Holidays: Le...
£20 - 26k + Benefits: Guru Careers: A Marketing Executive / Member Services Ex...
£15,000 - £25,000: Recruitment Genius: A fantastic opportunity has arisen for ...