How to cook quails
Sunday 17 October 2010
Two quails per person
A sprig or two of thyme
2 tbsp softened unsalted butter
Preheat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas7.
Lightly season the quails with salt, both inside and out. You can do this up to 24 hours in advance – it will add succulence to the bird.
Place the thyme and half of the butter inside the cavity. Rub the rest of the butter over the skin.
Place the quails breast side up on a heavy based roasting tin, a few inches apart so that they brown evenly.
Place on the middle shelf of the oven and cook for 12 minutes, turning half-way.
The flesh should feel firm with just the slightest yield, and should be beige with just a tinge of pink. Remove from the oven and rest for 10 minutes.
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
Board creates magnetic field to achieve lift
Life & Style blogs
iPhone 6 'catches on fire and burns man's leg after bending in his pocket'
The hoverboard is real, and it could give rise to hoverhouses
Drink alcohol and eat meat to improve male fertility - but cut down on coffee, studies suggest
Are you ready for Crazy Doritos, the red-hot snack food craze sweeping Mexico’s streets?
The inventor of the Facebook 'like' button says he never made a 'dislike' button because he feared the 'unfortunate consequences'
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Paralysed man Darek Fidyka walks again after treatment by British doctors on brink of 'cure'
iJobs Food & Drink
£30 - 50k (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a SCRUM Master to joi...
£13,520: Recruitment Genius: As this role can be customer facing at times, the...
£50000 - £60000 per annum: Sauce Recruitment: A successful entertainment, even...
£25000 - £30000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: A fantastic opportunity h...