Iceberg salad with Thousand Island dressing
Saturday 27 June 2009
I have to admit to a bit of an addiction when it comes to Thousand Island dressing; it's very similar to cocktail sauce and I think it's the ketchup that's partly to blame for the addictiveness.
And no one's really come up with a good alternative to iceberg lettuce; I suppose that we have little gem and cos lettuces which can go very well in a salad bowl, but which don't have quite the crunch of the iceberg.
You can also serve this scattered with small pieces of crispy bacon.
1 large iceberg lettuce, trimmed and washed if necessary
For the dressing
2tbsp tomato ketchup
3 spring onions, trimmed and finely chopped
1 large pickled gherkin, finely chopped
5-6 drops of Tabasco
2tsp Worcestershire sauce
The juice of half a lemon
1tbsp finely chopped parsley
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Mix all of the ingredients together for the dressing and season to taste. Cut the iceberg into 8 wedges and arrange 2 wedges on each serving plate. Spoon over the sauce and serve.
elephant appealThe first 23 lots in our charity auction have now gone. But there are 22 more still up for grabs
The magicians using online collaboration to push boundaries
Jennifer Lawrence attacks mass media again over body image
Life & Style blogs
- 1 America's 'virgin births'? One in 200 mothers 'became pregnant without having sex'
- 2 Sun will 'flip upside down' within weeks, says Nasa
- 3 Ian Watkins: Police probed over earlier allegations as paedophile Lostprophets singer sentenced to 35 years for child sex offences
- 4 Christmas comes early: Justin Bieber is 'retiring from music'
- 5 Children evacuated from swimming pool after prosthetic leg mistaken for paedophile
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Food & Drink
£18000 - £27000 per annum + Award-Winning Benefits: Round The World Experts: D...
£18000 - £22000 per annum + Award-Winning Benefits: FCm Travel Solutions: FCm ...
£23000 - £27000 per annum + £18K base & uncapped commission & benefits: Flight...
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: We would very much like to hear from applicant...