Iceberg salad with Thousand Island dressing
Saturday 27 June 2009
I have to admit to a bit of an addiction when it comes to Thousand Island dressing; it's very similar to cocktail sauce and I think it's the ketchup that's partly to blame for the addictiveness.
And no one's really come up with a good alternative to iceberg lettuce; I suppose that we have little gem and cos lettuces which can go very well in a salad bowl, but which don't have quite the crunch of the iceberg.
You can also serve this scattered with small pieces of crispy bacon.
1 large iceberg lettuce, trimmed and washed if necessary
For the dressing
2tbsp tomato ketchup
3 spring onions, trimmed and finely chopped
1 large pickled gherkin, finely chopped
5-6 drops of Tabasco
2tsp Worcestershire sauce
The juice of half a lemon
1tbsp finely chopped parsley
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Mix all of the ingredients together for the dressing and season to taste. Cut the iceberg into 8 wedges and arrange 2 wedges on each serving plate. Spoon over the sauce and serve.
Life & Style blogs
The Evil Within preview: a survival horror fan’s best worst nightmare
Porn film production likely to stop in Los Angeles after actor tests positive for HIV
Ice Bucket Challenge: ALS Association doesn't yet know what to do with all of the money raised
Anal sex study reveals climate of 'coercion'
iPhone 6 'release date' firmed up in leaked photos of Apple smartphone
- 1 Strictly Come Dancing 2014: Gregg Wallace joins line-up as final celebrities revealed
- 2 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 3 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 4 Saudi Arabia executes 19 in one half of August in 'disturbing surge of beheadings'
- 5 Brother and sister, Christopher Buckner and Timothy Savoy, arrested for 'committing incest after watching 'The Notebook''
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Food & Drink
£30 - 35k + Uncapped Comission (£70k Y1 OTE): Guru Careers: A Business Develop...
£18k + Uncapped Commission (£60k Y1 OTE): Guru Careers: A Graduate Sales Exe...
£25 - 60k (DOE): Guru Careers: A Web Developer / Software Developer is needed ...
£6000 - £50000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: Oracle 11...