Jersey royals with bacon and wild garlic
Saturday 16 May 2009
You need to buy some really thin rashers of streaky bacon for this dish, or alternatively you could flatten the rashers with the side of a knife. If you haven't got access to wild garlic then you could use young spinach leaves instead just tossed in butter with a little crushed garlic.
20 medium-sized Jersey Royals
10 rashers of thinly sliced streaky bacon
A little vegetable or corn oil for frying
A couple of handfuls of wild garlic leaves, washed and dried
A couple of knobs of butter
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 190C/gas 5. Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water for about 15 minutes or until just cooked, drain and leave to cool a little, then scrape the skins with a sharp knife.
Lay the rashers of bacon on a chopping board and flatten them with the side of a knife. Halve the rashers and wrap them securely around the potatoes. Place the potatoes on a baking tray and spoon over a little oil. Bake for about 30 minutes until lightly coloured.
Meanwhile, heat the butter in a large pan or frying pan and quickly cook the wild garlic leaves for a couple of minutes on a medium heat, stirring as they are cooking and seasoning lightly. To serve, spoon the wild garlic leaves on to warmed plates and place the potatoes on top.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Exodus Gods and Kings: Ridley Scott never considered casting 'Mohammad so-and-so from such-and-such' in lead role
- 2 This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
- 3 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school
- 4 Scientists predict green energy revolution after incredible new graphene discoveries
- 5 Michael Buerk wishes he'd killed Jimmy Savile when he had the chance - by pushing him overboard a cruise ship
iJobs Food & Drink
£40000 - £60000 per annum + £100,000 OTE: h2 Recruit Ltd: Birmingham, Derby, L...
£55000 - £65000 per annum: Investigo: My client, a global leader in their fiel...
£45000 - £52000 per annum + bonus+bens : Investigo: My client, a global leader...
£40000 - £45000 per annum + Benefits : Investigo: One of the fastest growing g...