Korean braised ribs recipe
Tuesday 30 April 2013
Korean cooking consists of a large number of braised dishes that require considerable culinary skill. Galbijjim is one such dish. In recent years it has grown in popularity among international diners who appreciate the fine taste and, indeed, the health advantages of the dish (the fat on the short ribs is removed before braising)
beef rib – 800g
5 cups of water
2 cups of meat stock
200g white radish
5 dried pyogo mushroom(shitake)
3 jujubes ( red dates)
Sauce for marinating
4 tablespoon of soy sauce
4 tablespoon of pear juice
2 tablespoon of sugar
2 tablespoon of minced spring onion
1 tablespoon of minced garlic
1 tablespoon of sesame oil
1 tablespoon of sesame salt
dash of pepper
1) Slice the beef rib into 5cm and place them in the cold water to remove the blood. Pour 5 cups of water into the pot and when it starts to boil, put the beef rib into it and boil it for 30 mintes. Remove the tough tendon parts and lumps of fat. Then, make cuts on the meat every 2cm. Cool down the meat broth and remove the oil on the surface.
2) Place the boiled meat into the pot and pour 2/3 of the marinating sauce and mix it well. Then, pour 2 cups of meat broth and slowly boil on a medium fire.
3) Slice white radish and carrot into 3cm, trim the edge, and boil them in the water. Soak the pygo mushroom in the water and remove the head. Peel the skin off the chestnuts and remove the seeds from the jujube.
4) When beef rib is cooked, put boiled white radish, carrot, pyogo mushroom, chestnut, and jujube together into the pot with the meat. Then, pour rest of the marinated sauce and meat broth and steam it on a low flame.
5) Divide the egg white and the yoke, and add a little bit of salt and mix it. Then, fry each egg white and yoke thinly. Slice them into circle or square shapes.
6) After marinated sauce is fully absorbed in the meat and the vegetables, serve them on a plate with egg white and yoke on the top.
Recipe courtesy of the Korean Food Foundation
Life & Style blogs
Who is Teresa Fidalgo? Debunking the fake ghost story that's got Instagram spooked
Men in tights: getting to the bottom of the latest trend
City traders pay £200 for a quick hangover cure
Stephen Hawking: NHS is Britain's finest public service and must be preserved from commercial interests
Eight-year-old girl Camilla Lisant suggests possible cancer treatment to her scientist father over the dinner table
- 1 Stephen Fry explains what he would say if he was 'confronted by God'
- 2 Venezuela Expo Tattoo 2015: Extreme body art from 'Vampire Woman' to 109mm earlobes
- 4 Ball pool for adults opens in London
- 5 Amal Clooney gives excellent response to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
iJobs Food & Drink
£30000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a great opportunity for...
£21000 - £22000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Located on the stunning Sandban...
£26 - 35k (DOE): Guru Careers: An Email Marketing Specialist is needed to join...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity to join a is a...