Korean braised ribs recipe
Tuesday 30 April 2013
Korean cooking consists of a large number of braised dishes that require considerable culinary skill. Galbijjim is one such dish. In recent years it has grown in popularity among international diners who appreciate the fine taste and, indeed, the health advantages of the dish (the fat on the short ribs is removed before braising)
beef rib – 800g
5 cups of water
2 cups of meat stock
200g white radish
5 dried pyogo mushroom(shitake)
3 jujubes ( red dates)
Sauce for marinating
4 tablespoon of soy sauce
4 tablespoon of pear juice
2 tablespoon of sugar
2 tablespoon of minced spring onion
1 tablespoon of minced garlic
1 tablespoon of sesame oil
1 tablespoon of sesame salt
dash of pepper
1) Slice the beef rib into 5cm and place them in the cold water to remove the blood. Pour 5 cups of water into the pot and when it starts to boil, put the beef rib into it and boil it for 30 mintes. Remove the tough tendon parts and lumps of fat. Then, make cuts on the meat every 2cm. Cool down the meat broth and remove the oil on the surface.
2) Place the boiled meat into the pot and pour 2/3 of the marinating sauce and mix it well. Then, pour 2 cups of meat broth and slowly boil on a medium fire.
3) Slice white radish and carrot into 3cm, trim the edge, and boil them in the water. Soak the pygo mushroom in the water and remove the head. Peel the skin off the chestnuts and remove the seeds from the jujube.
4) When beef rib is cooked, put boiled white radish, carrot, pyogo mushroom, chestnut, and jujube together into the pot with the meat. Then, pour rest of the marinated sauce and meat broth and steam it on a low flame.
5) Divide the egg white and the yoke, and add a little bit of salt and mix it. Then, fry each egg white and yoke thinly. Slice them into circle or square shapes.
6) After marinated sauce is fully absorbed in the meat and the vegetables, serve them on a plate with egg white and yoke on the top.
Recipe courtesy of the Korean Food Foundation
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Emma Watson on Jennifer Lawrence naked photo leak: 'Even worse than seeing women's privacy violated is reading the comments'
- 2 Saudis risk new Muslim division with proposal to move Mohamed’s tomb
- 3 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- 4 Cee Lo Green: It is only rape if the victim is conscious
- 5 Katie Hopkins breaks down in tears over weight gain challenge: ‘I hate fat people for making me do this’
iJobs Food & Drink
£20 - 26k + Benefits: Guru Careers: A Marketing Executive / Member Services Ex...
£15,000 - £25,000: Recruitment Genius: A fantastic opportunity has arisen for ...
£30000 - £45000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: VB.NET a...
£30 - 35k + Uncapped Comission (£70k Y1 OTE): Guru Careers: A Business Develop...