Saturday 09 October 2010
Kitty Travers specialises in delicious ices which she makes at home and stores in a freezer in her bedroom.
Her ices aren't made with commercial ingredients, and the flavours shine through.
Her flavours include pumpkin "mini-milks" infused with fig and peach, and this fantastic lemon granita. See lagrottaices.tumblr.com.
250g granulated sugar
The juice of 10 large lemons (plus the zest from 5 of them)
Put the water and sugar into a saucepan with the lemon zest, bring to the boil and stir until the sugar dissolves; simmer for a minute.
Remove from the heat; cool. Stir in the lemon juice; transfer to a shallow, non-reactive container; put in the freezer for about 4-5 hours.
Stir the granita every so often so that it doesn't freeze into a solid lump (you want the consistency to be a little granular).
Once frozen, break the ice up into small pieces; return to the freezer, then after an hour break it up again; then serve.
Diving in at the deep end is no excuse for shirking the style stakes
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Stephen Fry ‘criticises Operation Yewtree in dinner party rant’ calling for tougher laws to deter false sex abuse allegations
- 2 Why I'm on the brink of burning my Israeli passport
- 3 Israel-Gaza conflict: ‘Sderot cinema’ image shows Israelis with popcorn and chairs 'cheering as missiles strike Palestinian targets'
- 4 War is war: Why I stand with Israel
- 5 Blackest is the new black: Scientists have developed a material so dark that you can't see it...
iJobs Food & Drink
£45-£55k OTE £75k : Charter Selection: Major London International Fashion and ...
Voluntary, reasonable expenses reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: Are you keen on...
£33000 - £45000 per annum + 8% Bonus, pension: Deerfoot IT Resources Limited: ...
£30K- £40K pa + Commision £10K + Benefits: Charter Selection: Rapidly expandin...