Sunday 13 December 2009
I first had this in my native Australia, where it's a firm favourite. Don't be daunted – it's easy and quick to make, and when it's ready, you'll have a golden-sponge topping hiding a beautifully oozing creamy sauce. It's simplicity itself for a dinner party – prepare it beforehand and slip it into the oven as everyone starts their main course.
60g/21/2oz unsalted butter
275g/9oz caster sugar
3 eggs, separated
3 tbsp self-raising flour
275ml/9fl oz milk
Heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas4 and butter a one-litre ovenproof dish. Zest one of the lemons and juice them both.
In a food processor, cream the butter with the lemon juice and sugar, then add the egg yolks.
Add the flour and milk alternately to make a smooth batter. Scrape all the mixture from the sides of the food processor into a bowl. Add the lemon zest and stir well to combine.
In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form, then fold into the batter. Pour the lemon pudding into the prepared dish and place in a roasting tin.
Pour boiling water into the roasting tin: it should come halfway up the side of the dish. Place on the middle shelf of the hot oven and bake for one hour.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly. Serve with double cream.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Rules on 5p plastic bags likely to lead to arguments at the check-out
- 2 Hulk Hogan wants to be Donald Trump's running mate in the US Presidential election
- 3 Blood Moon and Supermoon: September to bring brightest – and dimmest – full Moon of the year on same night
- 4 News agency criticised for describing Amal Clooney as 'actor's wife' in coverage of human rights trial
- 5 David De Gea to Real Madrid: Real finally get their man with £29m bid for Manchester United goalkeeper
iJobs Food & Drink
£26000 - £29000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Product Development departm...
£23000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Visitor Fundraising Team is responsi...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join ...
£30000 - £34000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Estates Team of this group ...