Lentil, carrot and cumin soup
Sunday 28 March 2010
Perfect as a simple mid-week supper.
2 tbsp olive oil
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 sticks of celery, chopped
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
1 dried red chilli, crumbled
3 sprigs of thyme
2 fresh bay leaves
1 tsp cumin, roasted and pounded until fine
1 litre/13/4 pints of chicken stock or water
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Place the oil in a heavy-based pan on a low heat; add the carrots, celery, onions, chilli, garlic and herbs.
Cook gently for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are very soft, but not browned.
Add the lentils, stir thoroughly, then pour over the water or chicken stock.
Cook for 30 minutes until there is little liquid left in the pan.
Season well, and serve in warm bowls with warm peasant-style bread alongside.
Life & Style blogs
How Old Do I Look: Microsoft’s super advanced age-guessing app is terrible at guessing how old celebrities are, too
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
The 12 most sexually satisfied countries in the world revealed
Uploading pictures to find out how old you are gives Microsoft the right to post them wherever they want
Amazon’s minimum spend doubled: customers must now spend £20 to get free delivery
- 1 Lucy Hawking: Stephen Hawking's daughter writes impassioned open letter to Katie Hopkins about rights of disabled people
- 2 How the language you speak changes your view of the world
- 3 Russell Brand backs Ed Miliband: 'You gotta vote Labour'
- 4 General Election 2015: 14-year-old boy asks Nick Clegg – 'can you kill Katie Hopkins?'
- 5 Uploading pictures to find out how old you are gives Microsoft the right to post them wherever they want
iJobs Food & Drink
£40000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A growing business that has been ope...
£24800 - £29000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: As one of London's leading Muse...
£14000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£28 - 45k (DOE): Guru Careers: An Accountant is needed to take control of the ...