Linguine with spicy mussels
I make different versions of this all year round, sometimes using prawns, squid or clams instead of mussels. What makes this my winter version, is the addition of tinned tomatoes – it gives just the right amount of depth and body.
4 tbsp olive oil, plus extra to serve
2 garlic cloves, chopped
½ tsp dried chilli flakes
600g/1¼lb ripe cherry tomatoes, halved
75ml/3fl oz white wine
200g/7oz can chopped tomatoes
1kg/2lb mussels, scrubbed
Handful curly parsley, finely chopped
Cook the linguine in a large pan of salted boiling water until al dente. Drain, reserving a little of the cooking water.
Heat the oil in a shallow, wide-based pan with a lid, over a medium-high heat. Add the garlic and fry for 1 minute until fragrant, tip in the chilli and tomatoes, and cook for 5 minutes.
Pour in the wine, simmer for 1 minute then stir in the tinned tomatoes and cook for a further 2 minutes.
Tip in the mussels, increase the heat to high and put on the lid. Give the pan a shake and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the mussels have opened.
Discard any mussels that are still closed, then tip in the freshly drained pasta and a small ladleful of the reserved cooking water.
Toss over the heat until the sauce starts to cling to the pasta, sprinkle over the parsley and serve immediately.
Life & Style blogs
A roundup of the latest property news
Plus, do energy saving measures boost house prices?
The spring menswear season has only just begun, but I've already started to get deep and meaningful....
- 1 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 2 Special Report: US troops are stationed in Japan to protect the nation. But to sex workers in Okinawa, they bring fear, not security
- 3 Should we intervene? Our response to the Charles Saatchi and Nigella Lawson assault is shocking too
- 4 Exclusive: Cristiano Ronaldo advised to stay at Real Madrid for further 18 months before making possible switch to Manchester United
- 5 Iran to send 4,000 troops to aid President Assad forces in Syria
iJobs Food & Drink
£20,000 - £45,000 OTE: Co-Venture: Working for this company will give you a ch...
£40000 - £60000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£18000 - £35000 per annum + Award-Winning Benefits & Uncapped Comm: Flight Cen...
Negotiable: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Cruise Ship Seasonal W...