Lobster broth with noodles
The lobster shells never go to waste in my house, they get turned into a clear broth like this, or a bisque which goes in the freezer for a rainy day. I've made this into a kind of Asian broth: you can vary the ingredients by adding Asian mushrooms and/or pea shoots and the like – it's up to you. I've used gluten-free, black, udon-style noodles here, but normal udon or ramen noodles would be fine – or even black-ink pasta.
For the broth
The shells from one lobster, chopped and rinsed under the cold tap
1ltr fish stock
1 small onion, peeled and roughly chopped
2 cloves of garlic halved
Peelings from the root ginger (used later)
Some slices of lobster tail or claw meat
A small piece of root ginger, peeled and finely shredded (save peelings for broth)
A few sugar snaps or mange tout, shredded
23-30g black noodles or udon
Put all of the ingredients for the broth in a saucepan, bring to the boil, skim and simmer very gently for 45 minutes. Strain the broth through a fine-meshed sieve into a clean saucepan, then season to taste.
Cook the noodles according to the manufacturer's cooking instructions, then drain. Put the ginger in the broth and simmer for a minute, then add the chilli, mange tout and lobster; remove from the heat.
Arrange the hot noodles in a bowl, place the lobster pieces on top, then pour the broth and garnish over and serve.
Life & Style blogs
Charlie Charlie Challenge: how to banish the demon from your Facebook and Twitter news feed
World first as scientists use cold sore virus to attack cancer cells
British people have become 'internationally renowned' for having 'really lousy' teeth
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
'Paracetamol Challenge': Police and teachers issue warning to parents over social media craze
- 1 I was raped by another man. And now the Government wants to take away the one thing that saved my life
- 2 Preston fan who appeared to snatch Jermaine Beckford's shirt from eight-year-old boy identified and says: 'the truth will come out'
- 3 Priest warns pupils the 'Charlie Charlie Challenge' is 'demonic activity'
- 4 Iran launches anti-Isis cartoon competition 'to expose true nature of Islamic State'
- 5 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
iJobs Food & Drink
£32K: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Dining Room Head Chef to work for one of ...
£27K: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Pastry Sous Chef / Experienced Pastry Che...
£24K + Excellent Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking an Events Coordinator ...
Salary 42,000: Royal Yachting Association Cymru Wales: The CEO is responsible ...