Loin of veal with red onions
There is some great welfare-friendly British rose veal on the market now which has a much better flavour generally than the imported veal. You will need to order this in advance from your butcher and either tie it in a roll or just leave it as it is.
1 loin or rib of veal weighing about 1.5 kg
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
A couple of tablespoons of olive oil
A few sprigs of rosemary
5-6 medium-sized red onions, halved with the skin on
Preheat the oven to 220C/gas mark 7. Season the veal, heat a large, heavy-based frying pan or a roasting tray with a little oil and brown the veal on a high heat on both sides.
Place in a roasting tray with the halved onions and drizzle with some olive oil. Cook for 30 minutes, then turn the oven down to 180C/gas mark 5, scatter over the rosemary and cook for another 30 minutes, basting every so often.
Insert a point of a knife in the centre of the veal and if it's hot it's cooked – veal needs to be kept on the pink side to get the best out of it.
Serve the veal in 1cm-thick slices with the pan juices and onions. You can pour a little wine and butter in the pan and boil it up on a medium heat for a couple of minutes if you want to create a simple, natural sauce.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Planes go hybrid-electric in important step to greener flight
- 2 North Korean prison officers 'cooked prisoner's baby and fed it to their dogs', more horrific accounts from UN report reveal
- 3 Antonio Martin shooting: Mayor says there should be 'no comparison' to Ferguson
- 4 Antonio Martin shooting: Police and protesters clash over teenager's death just five miles from Ferguson, Missouri
- 5 British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
iJobs Food & Drink
£25000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness cha...
£240 - £275 per day: Investigo: Support the global business through in-depth a...
Negotiable: Ashdown Group: Data Manager - MySQL, Shell Scripts, Java, VB Scrip...
£27000 - £32000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Application Support Analyst - near S...