Mackerel broth with tomatoes and coriander
This is a good way to use up excess mackerel and you can use the skin, bones and heads from the smoked mackerel pâté recipe overleaf to make the broth.
2 medium-sized mackerel, filleted
1.5ltr fish stock
3-4 ripe tomatoes, quartered
1 onion, peeled and roughly chopped
30-40g root ginger, peeled and finely grated (reserve the skin)
12 cherry tomatoes, halved
1 medium red chilli, thinly sliced
2 spring onions, finely shredded on the angle
>A small handful of coriander leaves, torn
Remove the skin from the mackerel fillets and put the fillets to one side. Next, put the skin in a saucepan with the mackerel bones, cover with water, bring to a simmer, then drain and rinse the bones in cold water. Put the bones in a pan with the fish stock, tomatoes, onion and ginger peelings, bring to the boil and simmer gently for 30 minutes, then strain through a sieve into a clean pan.
To serve, cut the mackerel into chunks and add to the broth with the ginger, cherry tomatoes, chilli and spring onions. Simmer for 2-3 minutes, season, divide the coriander between 4 bowls and pour the broth over and serve immediately.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 The difference between a migrant and refugee, in one sentence
- 2 Miley Cyrus calls out hypocrisy of women’s nipples being taboo
- 3 Celebrity Big Brother 2015: Tila Tequila kicked off show after 'describing Hitler as a good man'
- 4 iPhone 5c to be discontinued, no iPhone 6c to replace it
- 5 Blood Moon and Supermoon: September to bring brightest – and dimmest – full Moon of the year on same night
iJobs Food & Drink
£26000 - £29000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Product Development departm...
£23000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Visitor Fundraising Team is responsi...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join ...
£30000 - £34000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Estates Team of this group ...