Mackerel broth with tomatoes and coriander
This is a good way to use up excess mackerel and you can use the skin, bones and heads from the smoked mackerel pâté recipe overleaf to make the broth.
2 medium-sized mackerel, filleted
1.5ltr fish stock
3-4 ripe tomatoes, quartered
1 onion, peeled and roughly chopped
30-40g root ginger, peeled and finely grated (reserve the skin)
12 cherry tomatoes, halved
1 medium red chilli, thinly sliced
2 spring onions, finely shredded on the angle
>A small handful of coriander leaves, torn
Remove the skin from the mackerel fillets and put the fillets to one side. Next, put the skin in a saucepan with the mackerel bones, cover with water, bring to a simmer, then drain and rinse the bones in cold water. Put the bones in a pan with the fish stock, tomatoes, onion and ginger peelings, bring to the boil and simmer gently for 30 minutes, then strain through a sieve into a clean pan.
To serve, cut the mackerel into chunks and add to the broth with the ginger, cherry tomatoes, chilli and spring onions. Simmer for 2-3 minutes, season, divide the coriander between 4 bowls and pour the broth over and serve immediately.
Threat of 'catastrophic cascade of collisions' must be averted, warn scientists
Life & Style blogs
American Apparel reveals 62-year-old Jacky O’Shaughnessy as underwear model
Pakistan vs Paul Smith: Sandal-wearers bemused by famed British designer's attempts to sell traditional Peshawari chappal-style shoes for the distinctly untraditional sum of £300
Blood test that predicts Alzheimer's disease
Lego told off by 7-year-old girl for promoting gender stereotypes
Titanfall: Release date, gameplay basics, DLC and everything else you need to know
- 1 Australian man Rod Sommerville reacts to bite from deadly snake by reaching for cold beer
- 2 Pakistan vs Paul Smith: Sandal-wearers bemused by famed British designer's attempts to sell traditional Peshawari chappal-style shoes for the distinctly untraditional sum of £300
- 3 North Korea elections: Kim Jong-un wins 100% of the vote
- 4 Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
- 5 Sharknado 2: Former WWE wrestler Kurt Angle to fight second wave of flying sharks
iJobs Food & Drink
£25000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits: Corporate Traveller: Opportunity for a B...
£20000 - £45000 per annum + Benefits: Corporate Traveller: We're looking for t...
£25000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits: Flight Centre Limited: Flight Centre Bus...
£16000 - £27000 per annum + Commission + Award-Winning Benefits): Flight Centr...