Mackerel in oil with vinegar and shallots
Saturday 07 March 2009
This simple dish was served as part of a mezze selection at dinner one night in Istanbul, but it was labelled "tuna". Well, I guess it's from the same family, but the size of the little fillets gave the game away somewhat. Anyway, it was simple and delicious and just goes to show how many possibilities there are with the humble mackerel.
4 mackerel, filleted, skinned and boned
4 large shallots, peeled, halved and finely chopped
100ml red wine vinegar
Approx 250ml olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Freshly chopped parsley or coriander, to garnish
Cut the mackerel lengthways down the centre then cut in half. Put the shallots in a saucepan with the vinegar and simmer gently for 2-3 minutes. Add the olive oil and season well with salt and pepper.
Heat the olive oil then drop in the pieces of mackerel, adding more oil if necessary to ensure they are covered.
Cover with a lid and cook for 2 minutes, then remove from the heat and leave to cool. Garnish with the chopped parsley or coriander.
Serve the mackerel at room temperature on its own or with a salad, bread or as part of a selection of starters.
Life & Style blogs
Looking past the search results: Google 2.0 will 'build airports and cities' says report
Jennifer Lawrence nude pictures leaked: Reddit removes 'The Fappening' board dedicated to sharing naked pictures of celebrities
iPhone 'Wave': iOS 8 hoax claims you can charge your iPhone in the microwave - you can't
Surviving cancer: They were expected to die - yet these childhood-cancer patients knew nothing of their diagnosis
iOS 8: how to free up memory on your iPhone or iPad to install the update
- 1 Stamford Hill council removes 'unacceptable' posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 2 Kim Kardashian 'nude pictures' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence 'The Fappening' scandal
- 3 Scottish referendum 'English question': Tory MPs call on David Cameron to create an English first minister in wake of No vote
- 4 Iranian blogger found guilty of insulting Prophet Mohammad on Facebook sentenced to death
- 5 Free U2 album: How the most generous giveaway in music history turned into a PR disaster
iJobs Food & Drink
£18000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: ***EXCELLENT OPPORTUNITY FO...
Basic of £18,000 + commission, realistic OTE of £30-£50k : Ocean Holidays: Le...
£20 - 26k + Benefits: Guru Careers: A Marketing Executive / Member Services Ex...
£15,000 - £25,000: Recruitment Genius: A fantastic opportunity has arisen for ...