Saturday 23 July 2011
Mackerel are one of my favourite fish – not only are they easy to catch but they are a pleasure to cook with in the kitchen and that delicious, slightly oily flesh tastes like no other fish. They work a treat on the barbecue and make great outdoor eating.
I've used a good-quality teriyaki sauce here from a Japanese supermarket which is perfect as you are only giving the fish a brush while it's cooking and flavouring the skin. You can serve this with a salad.
4 large bamboo skewers soaked in water for 3-4 hours (to prevent burning) or metal skewers
4 medium-sized mackerel, filleted and boned
80-100g ginger, scraped
4tbsp teriyaki sauce
Thread the mackerel fillets on to bamboo skewers and lightly season with sea salt. Finely grate the ginger to a purée; you can also chop over it afterwards with a knife if you wish. Cook the mackerel on a medium heat of a barbecue, skin-side down first for a minute on each side twice and brushing it with teriyaki sauce as it is cooking. Serve with the ginger purée.
Life & Style blogs
NHS struggling to monitor the safety and efficacy of its services outsourced to private providers
Airline food across the classes: Ever wondered what the other half are eating?
Coachella Festival 2015: from Kendall Jenner to Alexa Chung, stars and festival-goers parade their boho best
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
Huawei P8 review: best phones nobody's seen from the biggest company nobody's heard
- 1 Rarest Beanie Baby of them all could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 2 Ben Affleck asked TV chiefs to hide slave-owning ancestry, new hacked Sony emails published by Wikileaks claim
- 3 Driving while dehydrated can be just as dangerous as drink driving, study suggests
- 4 Farmer told to tear down mock-Tudor castle after hiding construction behind hay bales
- 5 One Direction: Louis Tomlinson launching his own record label, has already 'signed two acts'
iJobs Food & Drink
£24000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: With offices in Manchester, Lon...
Competitive (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a number of Marketi...
£20000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This well established business ...
£25000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Management Accountant - Manchester...