Mackerel with grapefruit salad
Saturday 14 June 2008
Mackerel is a great value fish – but make sure it's ultra-fresh. You can cook the mackerel whole, just as they are, or split them by cutting them through the belly with a sharp knife towards the back bone either side of the main bone structure then just snipping the bones and fins off with a pair of scissors to form a butterfly, like a kipper.
4 mackerel, weighing about 400-450g
Flour for dusting
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
A couple of tablespoons of olive oil for frying
For the salad
A couple of handfuls of small salad leaves
1 grapefruit, segmented with the juice reserved
1tbsp olive oil
Season the mackerel and lightly flour the skin side and brush with oil. Grill the mackerel on a medium grill for 3-4 minutes on each side.
Meanwhile mix the grapefruit juice with the olive oil then toss with the segments and leaves. Serve the salad with the mackerel.
Life & Style blogs
Planes go hybrid-electric in important step to greener flight
GTA 5: Christmas arrives in Los Santos as update brings snowball fights, festive jumpers and a homing missile launcher
'Tis the season!: Google celebrates Christmas Eve with second animated Doodle
Christmas 2014: Jesus was not born in a stable, says theologian
Pornhub: Kim Kardashian's sex tape is the most-watched porn video of all-time
- 1 Planes go hybrid-electric in important step to greener flight
- 2 North Korean prison officers 'cooked prisoner's baby and fed it to their dogs', more horrific accounts from UN report reveal
- 3 Antonio Martin shooting: Mayor says there should be 'no comparison' to Ferguson
- 4 Antonio Martin shooting: Police and protesters clash over teenager's death just five miles from Ferguson, Missouri
- 5 British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
iJobs Food & Drink
£25000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness cha...
£240 - £275 per day: Investigo: Support the global business through in-depth a...
Negotiable: Ashdown Group: Data Manager - MySQL, Shell Scripts, Java, VB Scrip...
£27000 - £32000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Application Support Analyst - near S...