Mackerel with grapefruit salad
Saturday 14 June 2008
Mackerel is a great value fish – but make sure it's ultra-fresh. You can cook the mackerel whole, just as they are, or split them by cutting them through the belly with a sharp knife towards the back bone either side of the main bone structure then just snipping the bones and fins off with a pair of scissors to form a butterfly, like a kipper.
4 mackerel, weighing about 400-450g
Flour for dusting
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
A couple of tablespoons of olive oil for frying
For the salad
A couple of handfuls of small salad leaves
1 grapefruit, segmented with the juice reserved
1tbsp olive oil
Season the mackerel and lightly flour the skin side and brush with oil. Grill the mackerel on a medium grill for 3-4 minutes on each side.
Meanwhile mix the grapefruit juice with the olive oil then toss with the segments and leaves. Serve the salad with the mackerel.
Diving in at the deep end is no excuse for shirking the style stakes
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Stephen Fry ‘criticises Operation Yewtree in dinner party rant’ calling for tougher laws to deter false sex abuse allegations
- 2 Why I'm on the brink of burning my Israeli passport
- 3 Israel-Gaza conflict: ‘Sderot cinema’ image shows Israelis with popcorn and chairs 'cheering as missiles strike Palestinian targets'
- 4 L'Oreal cuts ties with Belgium supporter Axelle Despiegelaere after hunting trip photographs
- 5 War is war: Why I stand with Israel
iJobs Food & Drink
£45-£55k OTE £75k : Charter Selection: Major London International Fashion and ...
Voluntary, reasonable expenses reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: Are you keen on...
£33000 - £45000 per annum + 8% Bonus, pension: Deerfoot IT Resources Limited: ...
£30K- £40K pa + Commision £10K + Benefits: Charter Selection: Rapidly expandin...