Mark Hix recipe: Beetroot tartare
This is more of a salsa-type thing, I suppose, but you can use it to accompany smoked or pickled fish, cold meats and so on. Otherwise, simply spoon it on some toast as a snack.
You can mix a little crème fraîche or mayonnaise with this at the end to make it creamier, or, depending on your tastes, just leave it clean.
250-300g cooked beetroot (any colour)
1 medium red or white onion, peeled, halved and finely chopped
2-3tbsp capers, rinsed and chopped
1tbsp Tewkesbury mustard or Dijon, mixed with some horseradish
1-2tbsp rapeseed oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Peel the beetroot and finely chop them, then mix all of the ingredients together and season to taste. You can add more capers or mustard if you wish.
Life & Style blogs
Planes go hybrid-electric in important step to greener flight
Boxing Day sales: From Asos to Harrods, the best fashion deals
Healthy living could have prevented half a million cancer cases over last five years
The food fad that's starving Bolivia
'Tis the season!: Google celebrates Christmas Eve with second animated Doodle
- 1 PlayStation and Xbox hacked by Lizard Squad
- 2 Katie Hopkins speaks out on childhood obesity: 'Parents of fat children should be prosecuted for child cruelty'
- 3 The Grace Dent Christmas Questionnaire
- 4 The 'Black Museum': After 150 years, public set to see exhibits from police’s grisly crime museum
- 5 Vagina canoe artist defends herself over ‘obscenity’ charges
iJobs Food & Drink
£25000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness cha...
£240 - £275 per day: Investigo: Support the global business through in-depth a...
Negotiable: Ashdown Group: Data Manager - MySQL, Shell Scripts, Java, VB Scrip...
£27000 - £32000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Application Support Analyst - near S...