Mark Hix recipe: Beetroot tartare
This is more of a salsa-type thing, I suppose, but you can use it to accompany smoked or pickled fish, cold meats and so on. Otherwise, simply spoon it on some toast as a snack.
You can mix a little crème fraîche or mayonnaise with this at the end to make it creamier, or, depending on your tastes, just leave it clean.
250-300g cooked beetroot (any colour)
1 medium red or white onion, peeled, halved and finely chopped
2-3tbsp capers, rinsed and chopped
1tbsp Tewkesbury mustard or Dijon, mixed with some horseradish
1-2tbsp rapeseed oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Peel the beetroot and finely chop them, then mix all of the ingredients together and season to taste. You can add more capers or mustard if you wish.
Life & Style blogs
Watching TV after work makes you feel 'guilty and like a failure'
NHS medics are being lured away to Australia by more money, status and sunshine, survey suggests
Xiaomi Mi4: 'Chinese Apple' launches flagship mobile to challenge iPhone
Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
Condom couture: Latex dresses hit the catwalk to raise awareness for HIV and Aids
- 1 Crash victims in car flattened by shipping container emerge with just minor injuries
- 2 Students offered grants if they tweet pro-Israeli propaganda
- 3 Satellite full of sexually experimental geckos adrift in space, Russia loses control of mission
- 4 Exclusive: Cameron’s Big Society in tatters as charity watchdog launches investigation into claims of Government funding misuse
- 5 Joey Barton and Yossi Benayoun become involved in Twitter row over Israel-Gaza conflict
iJobs Food & Drink
£40000 - £60000 per annum + Pension, Healthcare : Deerfoot IT Resources Limite...
£30000 - £45000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: VB.NET a...
Unpaid voluntary role: Old Royal Naval College: To assist the Visitor Experien...
£45-£55k OTE £75k : Charter Selection: Major London International Fashion and ...