Mark Hix recipe: Bread and butter pudding
This dessert is a mere crumb compared to how many loaves are actually thrown away every single day, but it's definitely a really nice way to use up any bread that has gone past its sell-by date, as it were.
4 slices of bread, crusts removed and quartered
A good knob of butter, melted
3 whole eggs
6 egg yolks
60g caster sugar
600ml single cream
3-4tbsp melted marmalade to glaze
Preheat the oven to 180C/gas mark 5. Lightly butter an ovenproof dish measuring about 25 x 20 cm and roughly 5-6cm deep. Arrange the slices of bread in the dish, overlapping and covering the whole thing.
Bring the cream to the boil. Mix the eggs, egg yolks and sugar together then pour over the cream and whisk until well mixed, then carefully pour over the bread, rearranging them if necessary.
For the cooking, you'll need to have a deep tray such as a roasting pan larger than the pudding dish. Stand the pudding dish in the tray and pour boiling water into the pan, three-quarters of the way up the dish. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until the custard has just set.
Remove from the tray and leave to cool for a short while. Finally, brush the marmalade over it and serve.
Life & Style blogs
NHS hospitals told not to fill vacancies as cash crisis bites
Porn block in India: hundreds of sexual websites banned, internet outraged
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
Phone batteries can be used to spy on their owners and track them around the internet
- 1 Sabrina Corgatelli: US hunting tourist posts picture of herself with dead giraffe after Cecil the lion outrage
- 2 Tom Cruise: Reporters banned from asking actor about Scientology
- 3 A-level results 2015: UK exam board OCR admits it 'estimates' hundreds of pupils' grades after papers 'go missing'
- 4 Dutch King Willem-Alexander declares the end of the welfare state
- 5 Giant Minion terrorises drivers in Ireland as 40ft inflatable blocks traffic on Dublin road
iJobs Food & Drink
Circa £26,500 DOE: Guru Careers: An International Project Coordinator / Accoun...
£25k + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienced Plumber / Mainten...
£14000 - £17000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing travel comp...
£19000 - £21000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Are you looking for an exciting...