Mark Hix recipe: Crab beignets
This is my take on Gordon Gleave's prize-winning recipe.
100g butter, diced
150g plain flour
4 eggs, beaten
150g freshly picked white crab meat
50g brown crab meat
For the sauce
50-60g brown crab meat
1tbsp chilli sauce
1tbsp good-quality mayonnaise
Put the milk, water, butter, salt and sugar into a saucepan and bring to the boil.
Remove from the heat, mix in the flour and stir with a wooden spoon or spatula until smooth.
Return the pan to a low heat and stir for about a minute until the mixture leaves the sides of the pan, then transfer to a bowl.
Gradually whisk the beaten eggs into the mix a little at a time, until it is smooth and shiny, then fold in the brown and white crab and season.
To make the sauce, whisk all of the ingredients together and season to taste.
Preheat about 8cm of oil to 160-180C in a large thick-bottomed saucepan or electric deep-fat fryer.
Using a dessert spoon, drop spoonfuls of the mixture into the fat (about 6-8 at a time) and move them around with a slotted spoon for a couple of minutes until they are golden, then remove them from the oil and drain on some kitchen paper.
Serve immediately with the sauce.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 The difference between a migrant and refugee, in one sentence
- 2 Miley Cyrus calls out hypocrisy of women’s nipples being taboo
- 3 Celebrity Big Brother 2015: Tila Tequila kicked off show after 'describing Hitler as a good man'
- 4 iPhone 5c to be discontinued, no iPhone 6c to replace it
- 5 Blood Moon and Supermoon: September to bring brightest – and dimmest – full Moon of the year on same night
iJobs Food & Drink
£26000 - £29000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Product Development departm...
£23000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Visitor Fundraising Team is responsi...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join ...
£30000 - £34000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Estates Team of this group ...