Mark Hix recipe: Cranachan with rhubarb
This is a dead simple dessert to make and it's full of flavour. You can use any soft fruit really, but rhubarb is in season and goes rather well with the Drambuie.
For the rhubarb compote
300g rhubarb, trimmed, washed and chopped into rough 1cm chunks
100g caster sugar
For the fool
60g medium oatmeal, lightly toasted
3tbsp clear honey
400ml double cream
To make the compote, put the rhubarb and sugar in a heavy-based saucepan and cook on a low heat for 4-5 minutes, stirring every so often until the rhubarb is tender. Remove from the heat and leave to cool, then refrigerate for an hour.
To serve, whip the cream not too stiffly, then add the Drambuie and honey and continue mixing until it thickens again. Then taste and add a little more of the Drambuie if you wish.
Carefully fold half of the compote and two-thirds of the oats into the cream mixture and spoon into individual glasses or a serving dish and chill for at least an hour. Serve with the rest of the compote and oats on top of the fool.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 'Natural' energy drink banned for containing erectile dysfunction drug
- 2 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 3 Dylan Tombides: West Ham confirm 20-year-old striker has died after battle with cancer
- 4 Loch Ness Monster found on Apple Maps?
- 5 Angus Steakhouse: How does tourist staple continue to thrive in today's gourmet market?
iJobs Food & Drink
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: There are many small development projects in ...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Kaya Responsible Travel offer a variety of sp...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Volunteer with Kaya in Borneo and work on a p...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: If you have a passion for elephants and want ...