Mark Hix recipe: Cranachan with rhubarb
This is a dead simple dessert to make and it's full of flavour. You can use any soft fruit really, but rhubarb is in season and goes rather well with the Drambuie.
For the rhubarb compote
300g rhubarb, trimmed, washed and chopped into rough 1cm chunks
100g caster sugar
For the fool
60g medium oatmeal, lightly toasted
3tbsp clear honey
400ml double cream
To make the compote, put the rhubarb and sugar in a heavy-based saucepan and cook on a low heat for 4-5 minutes, stirring every so often until the rhubarb is tender. Remove from the heat and leave to cool, then refrigerate for an hour.
To serve, whip the cream not too stiffly, then add the Drambuie and honey and continue mixing until it thickens again. Then taste and add a little more of the Drambuie if you wish.
Carefully fold half of the compote and two-thirds of the oats into the cream mixture and spoon into individual glasses or a serving dish and chill for at least an hour. Serve with the rest of the compote and oats on top of the fool.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 All Blacks Aaron Cruden misses New Zealand flight after drinking session, has brilliant excuse
- 2 Kim Kardashian 'nude photos' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence scandal
- 3 'F*ck it, I quit': TV reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
- 4 Alicia Keys leaks nude photo 'to create a kinder and more peaceful world'
- 5 Clothes store Joy angers mental health campaigners with Twitter exchange on bipolar disorders
iJobs Food & Drink
£50 - 60k (DOE): Guru Careers: An Affiliate Marketing Manager / Affiliate Mana...
£18000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: ***EXCELLENT OPPORTUNITY FO...
Basic of £18,000 + commission, realistic OTE of £30-£50k : Ocean Holidays: Le...
£20 - 26k + Benefits: Guru Careers: A Marketing Executive / Member Services Ex...