Mark Hix recipe: Cuttlefish, green tomato and chilli broth
I'm going to continue writing cuttlefish recipes until I am blue in the face because, frankly, we aren't eating enough of it – and the majority of ours gets shipped abroad, which is a shame. Fishmongers should be promoting it, but they seem to only want to stock squid, erroneously thinking that's all we want.
A good fish stock cube dissolved in a litre of boiling water
1 small leek, halved, roughly chopped and washed
10 black peppercorns
4 lime leaves
The trimmings from the cuttlefish (not the back bone)
A small piece of root ginger (about 30g) scraped and finely grated
1 small cuttlefish, weighing about 400-500g, cleaned (keep trimmings for stock)
2 large or 4 small green tomatoes, cut into rough chunks
1 green chilli, thinly sliced
4 spring onions, trimmed, thinly sliced
15-20 leaves of Thai basil, torn if large
First, make the broth. Put all the ingredients into a saucepan, bring to the boil, season and simmer gently for 30 minutes; then strain through a fine-meshed sieve into a clean pan; season if necessary.
Cut the cuttlefish into rough 2cm squares and then score a criss-cross into them with a sharp knife. Cut the tentacles down into four pieces. To serve, put all the ingredients into the broth, except for the basil. Simmer for 2-3 minutes, season if necessary, stir in the basil and serve immediately.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 What marriage would look like if we actually followed the Bible
- 2 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 3 The Chinese city where men have 'three girlfriends because there are so many women'
- 4 'Heartbreaking' Syria orphan photo wasn't taken in Syria and not of orphan
- 5 Orthorexia nervosa: How becoming obsessed with healthy eating can lead to malnutrition
iJobs Food & Drink
£22000 - £32000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness cha...
£7500 - £10000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness chai...
COMPETITIVE: Guru Careers: A Marketing / Digital Marketing Executive (CRM, Eve...
£8 per hour: Recruitment Genius: The role is likely to be 4on 4 off, days and ...