Mark Hix recipe: Gamekeeper's potatoes
You can bake this as a completely separate, stand-alone dish or you can finish the saddle of deer or any roasting joint on top of the potatoes for the last part of cooking, depending on the size of the joint.
8 medium-sized waxy potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
3 medium onions, peeled and thinly sliced
2tbsp rapeseed oil
1ltr beef or game stock
A few sprigs of thyme, leaves removed
Preheat the oven to 200C/gas mark 6. Heat the rapeseed oil in a heavy-based saucepan or frying pan and cook the onions on a medium heat for 5-6 minutes, turning them regularly, until golden.
Next, take an ovenproof roasting dish and lay the sliced potatoes into it with the onions and thyme leaves and build up the layers; season every couple of layers with salt and pepper.
When all the potato is used up, pour over enough stock just to cover.
Bake in the oven for 45-50 minutes, brushing the top with some of the cooking juices every so often.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 If you weren't afraid of flying before last week... you probably are now
- 2 Israel-Gaza conflict: The secret report that helps Israelis to hide facts
- 3 Students offered grants if they tweet pro-Israeli propaganda
- 4 Lauren Goodger calls for tougher laws on revenge porn after sex tape leaks online
- 5 Iraq crisis: End 'very near' for Christianity after Isis takeover, says Bishop
iJobs Food & Drink
£40000 - £60000 per annum + Pension, Healthcare : Deerfoot IT Resources Limite...
£30000 - £45000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: VB.NET a...
Unpaid voluntary role: Old Royal Naval College: To assist the Visitor Experien...
£45-£55k OTE £75k : Charter Selection: Major London International Fashion and ...