Mark Hix recipe: Gamekeeper's potatoes
You can bake this as a completely separate, stand-alone dish or you can finish the saddle of deer or any roasting joint on top of the potatoes for the last part of cooking, depending on the size of the joint.
8 medium-sized waxy potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
3 medium onions, peeled and thinly sliced
2tbsp rapeseed oil
1ltr beef or game stock
A few sprigs of thyme, leaves removed
Preheat the oven to 200C/gas mark 6. Heat the rapeseed oil in a heavy-based saucepan or frying pan and cook the onions on a medium heat for 5-6 minutes, turning them regularly, until golden.
Next, take an ovenproof roasting dish and lay the sliced potatoes into it with the onions and thyme leaves and build up the layers; season every couple of layers with salt and pepper.
When all the potato is used up, pour over enough stock just to cover.
Bake in the oven for 45-50 minutes, brushing the top with some of the cooking juices every so often.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
- 2 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns aged 27
- 3 Cilla Black defends Cliff Richard: 'I am positive that the allegations are without foundation'
- 4 Nicki Minaj finally releases predictable 'Anaconda' video
- 5 James Foley 'beheading': Met police warn public watching murder video could be criminal offence
iJobs Food & Drink
£6000 - £50000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: Oracle 11...
£17K OTE £30K: Charter Selection: Highly successful and innovative specialist...
£45000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Working with an exciting ...
£23,000: Sauce Recruitment: A global leader in sports and entertainment is now...