Mark Hix recipe: Grilled veal chop with Jerusalem artichokes, capers and rosemary
I do love a veal chop, and helpfully, a lot of butchers are now selling ethically reared British veal.
You don't have to use a knife and fork for this big chunk of meat – you could just tear it apart with your fingers.
1 veal T-bone weighing about 600-700g
2tbsp vegetable or corn oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
200g Jerusalem artichokes, peeled or scrubbed and halved
A couple of good knobs of butter
A couple of sprigs of rosemary
Preheat the oven to 180C/gas mark 5. Heat a heavy, oven-proof frying pan with a tablespoon of the vegetable oil, put the Jerusalem artichokes in, season and roast in the oven for about 15-20 minutes, turning them every so often until tender.
Meanwhile, heat a ribbed griddle or heavy frying pan, season the veal and brush with oil. Cook for about 6-7 minutes on each side, depending on the thickness, keeping the veal pink.
Put the pan of artichokes on a low heat on the stove, add the rosemary, capers and butter and heat through for a couple of minutes.
Transfer the chops to warmed serving plates and spoon the artichokes, rosemary and capers over.
Life & Style blogs
10 ways we damage our teeth – without realising
Facebook Messenger sends 'creepily' precise location data, as revealed by Marauders Map Chrome extension
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
iPhone 'effective power' text: how to be safe from iOS bug that lets people crash your phone
Video claims California will be hit by huge earthquake because of the alignment of the planets — but it’s probably wrong
- 1 10 ways we damage our teeth – without realising
- 2 Fifa corruption arrests: Nike reported to be 'multinational sportswear company' at centre of bribery claims over Brazil shirt deal
- 3 Facebook Messenger sends 'creepily' precise location data, as revealed by Marauders Map Chrome extension
- 4 Bahar Mustafa: Goldsmiths Students' Union diversity officer to keep her job after vote of no confidence petition fails
- 5 Photo of wedding guest proposing to girlfriend in front of bride and groom goes viral
iJobs Food & Drink
£35-40k (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Marketing Communicati...
£23K: Guru Careers: We're seeking an experienced Membership Administrator, to ...
£32K: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Dining Room Head Chef to work for one of ...
£27K: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Pastry Sous Chef / Experienced Pastry Che...