Mark Hix recipe: Guacamole with crispy pork and chorizo
You can serve this with tortillas on the side, or use a warmed or crisp tortilla as a base. Good-quality pork scratchings, such as Mr Trotter's, are ideal for this as they are ready-seasoned.
You can also serve the chorizo mixture as a tortilla filling.
150-180g cooking chorizo with the skins removed
50-60g pork scratchings, broken into small pieces
A small handful of coriander leaves, washed
For the guacamole
4-5 ripe avocados, peeled and the stone removed
The juice of 2 limes
Salt and a good pinch of chilli powder to season
Break the chorizo into small pieces, heat a heavy frying pan and cook the chorizo on a medium heat for 6-7 minutes, breaking it down as it's cooking with the back of a wooden spoon; drain off any excess oil and transfer to a bowl. Leave to cool a little, then stir in the pork scratchings. You can add a little of the released cooking oils back in to moisten it, if you wish.
Meanwhile, make the guacamole by crushing up the avocado in a bowl with a fork, as smooth or as coarse as you wish, then mix in the lime juice, salt and chilli to taste.
To serve, either spread the guacamole on to serving plates, or on to warmed or crisp tortillas, scatter the chorizo mixture over and, finally, scatter over the coriander leaves.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Moscow voted the world's unfriendliest city
- 2 The excuses your boss is most likely to believe when you call in sick
- 3 I'm pansexual – here are the five biggest misconceptions about my sexuality
- 4 More than 11,000 Icelanders offer to house Syrian refugees to help European crisis
- 5 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don’t change Europe’s attitude to refugees, what will?
iJobs Food & Drink
£25000 - £28000 per annum + 24 days holiday, bonus, etc.: Ashdown Group: Print...
£20000 - £26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: With offices in London, Manches...
£30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Customer and Brand Manager required for ...
£25000 - £35000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: Systems Administrator A...