Mark Hix recipe: Lamb and asparagus salad
If you don't like offal, just use more fillet here instead of kidneys.
4 lamb under fillets
2 lamb kidneys
4-6 asparagus spears, cooked and sliced
60-80g small salad leaves
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Vegetable oil for frying
1tbsp good-quality cider vinegar
2tsp Tewkesbury or Dijon mustard
4tbsp rapeseed oil
Season the lamb kidney and fillets. Heat a little vegetable oil in a heavy frying or griddle pan, until it is almost smoking, and cook the kidneys for about 3-4 minutes on each side and the fillets for about a minute each side, ensuring both remain pink.
Now transfer to a plate to catch any juices.
Whisk the vinegar, mustard and oil with the lamb juices to make a dressing, and season.
Mix the salad leaves and asparagus in a bowl and toss with half of the dressing, then arrange on four plates.
Slice the lamb fillet and kidney thinly and place the slices on top of the salad and spoon over a little more dressing.
Life & Style blogs
Planes go hybrid-electric in important step to greener flight
Victoria Beckham's clothing sales double to £30 million in one year
GTA 5: Christmas arrives in Los Santos as update brings snowball fights, festive jumpers and a homing missile launcher
'Tis the season!: Google celebrates Christmas Eve with second animated Doodle
Christmas 2014: Jesus was not born in a stable, says theologian
- 1 Planes go hybrid-electric in important step to greener flight
- 2 Antonio Martin shooting: Police and protesters clash over teenager's death just five miles from Ferguson, Missouri
- 3 Northern Lights above Britain: Stunning Aurora Borealis illuminates Northumberland sky on Christmas Eve
- 4 British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
- 5 New route to Mars could make manned mission much cheaper and easier
iJobs Food & Drink
£25000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness cha...
£240 - £275 per day: Investigo: Support the global business through in-depth a...
Negotiable: Ashdown Group: Data Manager - MySQL, Shell Scripts, Java, VB Scrip...
£27000 - £32000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Application Support Analyst - near S...