Mark Hix recipe: Mark Hix's chips
At Hot Chip they fry their chips in locally-produced rapeseed oil. I'm a big fan of rapeseed – it's high in omega 3 and doesn't leave that aftertaste that some vegetable and corn oils do.
Allow approximately 200-250g of potatoes per person. Peel your potatoes, then cut them into roughly 1cm-thick slices, then slice these into roughly 1cm-wide chips. Wash the chips in water, then drain on kitchen paper.
Preheat the rapeseed oil to 120C in a deep-fat fryer. Blanch your chips two or three handfuls at a time until they are soft but not coloured (approximately 3-4 minutes). Remove from the fat and drain. You can store the chips in this state in the fridge for up to a couple of days.
To serve the chips, re-fry them in hot oil (160-180C) for a further 3-4 minutes until they are crisp, season lightly with salt and serve immediately with your topping.
Life & Style blogs
Crystal meth addict 'gouged out his eyes and ate them' while high on drug, Australian MP claims
Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time: 10 worst gadgets of recent times
The secret to a great sex life revealed: Two cups of coffee a day
New Zealand 'the best country to work as a prostitute', says sex worker advocacy group
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
- 1 Isis 'jihadi bride' claims forced sex with Yazidi girls is never rape because Koran condones it
- 2 New Zealand 'the best country to work as a prostitute', says sex worker advocacy group
- 3 Purity balls: Girls in the US making virginity pledges as fathers vow to 'protect purity'
- 4 Mother 'will allow son's circumcision in return for release from prison'
- 5 Female Muay Thai champion hustles coaches to give them a beating
iJobs Food & Drink
£24K + Excellent Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking an Events Coordinator ...
Salary 42,000: Royal Yachting Association Cymru Wales: The CEO is responsible ...
£35-40k (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Marketing Communicati...
£40000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A growing business that has been ope...