Mark Hix recipe: Moroccan lentil soup
This is an easily-made, delicious soup for when the weather gets a bit nippy. You can use any lentils for this, but traditionally the brown variety are used.
150g brown or puy lentils, soaked for 1 hour
3tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, peeled, halved and finely chopped
3 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
3tsp ground cumin
20g root ginger, peeled and grated
1 can (approx 200g) of chopped tomatoes
1½ltrs vegetable stock
3tbsp chopped coriander to serve
Heat the olive oil in a heavy-based saucepan and gently cook the onions, garlic, cumin, paprika and ginger for 2-3 minutes, without colouring, until they soften.
Add the tomatoes, vegetable stock and lentils, bring to the boil, season, and simmer very gently for about 45 minutes, until the lentils are just starting to fall apart and the soup has thickened.
Season to taste, stir in the coriander and serve.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 2 People all over the world are getting semicolon tattoos to draw attention to mental health
- 3 Van driver who comforted Clark Carlisle and called 999 after suicide attempt dies age 24
- 4 James Blunt was special guest on the highest-rating Top Gear episode ever
- 5 The biggest first date turnoff has been revealed
iJobs Food & Drink
£15000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: To support their continued grow...
£33000 - £38000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A global player and world leade...
£18000 - £24000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: If you are friendly, sociable, ...
£22300 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This museum group is looking for a Payro...