Mark Hix recipe: Shell shot
I've done recipes for bull shot with beef stock and duck shot with wild duck stock – I just hate throwing bones and carcasses away. This is a fishy version with lobster shells, or you could use prawn or crab shells. Once you have made the stock, freeze it down in useable quantities to take out on a shoot, fishing or a country walk, then simply add the vodka and other ingredients when you heat the broth.
For the broth
The shells from one or two lobsters, or prawn shells, chopped and rinsed under the cold tap
2ltrs fish stock
1 small onion, peeled and roughly chopped
2 cloves of garlic, halved
1 small leek, roughly chopped and washed
2 sticks of celery, roughly chopped
½tbsp tomato purée
1 bay leaf
A couple of sprigs of thyme
2tbsp fennel seeds
1tsp black peppercorns
½tbsp Worcestershire sauce
Tabasco to taste
A couple of good pinches of celery salt
100-200ml vodka, depending on the occasion
Put all of the ingredients for the broth in a saucepan, bring to the boil, skim and simmer very gently for 45 minutes.
train the broth through a fine-meshed sieve into a clean saucepan, then season to taste.
Add all of the serving ingredients to taste, bring back to the boil and pour into a vacuum flask.
Life & Style blogs
GTA 5 Online DLC: San Andreas Flight School update brings 16-seater jet plane and more
What is ALS and the Ice Bucket Challenge?
Anal sex study reveals climate of 'coercion'
Common antibiotic linked to increased risk of heart disease
Karl Lagerfeld shoots Eurovision winner Conchita Wurst in suspenders for fashion shoot
- 1 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 2 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 3 James Foley beheading: Fox news presenter Megyn Kelly annoyed by Ferguson update during broadcast about murdered journalist
- 4 Kajieme Powell: Missouri police release video footage of second man killed by officers
- 5 Paul Scholes: Manchester United need five experienced players who can turn round a desperate situation
iJobs Food & Drink
£6000 - £50000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: Oracle 11...
£17K OTE £30K: Charter Selection: Highly successful and innovative specialist...
£45000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Working with an exciting ...
£23,000: Sauce Recruitment: A global leader in sports and entertainment is now...