Melon with crème fraîche and rose syrup
At this time of year, when the orange-fleshed melons known as charentais come into season and are perfectly, deliciously sweet, I like to serve this dish. Sometimes we use rose petals from the garden to finish it off – but make sure they have not been sprayed with anything.
1 sweet, ripe melon
100ml/3fl oz crème fraîche
1tbsp rose syrup
a few rose petals (if you like)
a handful of cherries (optional)
Cut the melon in half and scoop out the seeds with a spoon. Cut into 8 pieces using a sharp knife. Remove the outer skin. Place the melon on a plate, with a few cherries, and spoon the crème fraîche on top. Drizzle over the rose syrup and scatter over the rose petals. Serve immediately after cutting – as the melon dries out quite quickly.
Life & Style blogs
Plus live in a folly tower and Towcester growth
Plus how much you need to earn to rent in London, and new homes figures
Plus where The Apprentices live, house price growth outside London, and househunter numbers
- 1 Stoke City investigate 'religious abuse' after 'pig's head is found in Kenwyne Jones' locker'
- 2 Heading for America? Prepare for the longest US immigration queues ever
- 3 Amir Khan interview: 'One second could end my boxing career'
- 4 Groundhog day looms for Arsène Wenger as Arsenal battle for a place in the Champions League on final day
- 5 Join Ryanair! See the world! But we'll only pay you for nine months a year
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
iJobs Food & Drink
£26400 - £36000 per annum: Randstad Education Maidstone: An Independant school...
£22k-£25k + comm + benefits: Blue Travel Solutions: LOOKING FOR A CAREER IN TH...
£26k-£29k + excellent comm: Blue Travel Solutions: We have a high-end luxury t...
£23000 - £27000 per annum + (£15K + Uncapped Commission & Benefits): Flight Ce...