Melon with crème fraîche and rose syrup
Monday 30 June 2008
At this time of year, when the orange-fleshed melons known as charentais come into season and are perfectly, deliciously sweet, I like to serve this dish. Sometimes we use rose petals from the garden to finish it off – but make sure they have not been sprayed with anything.
1 sweet, ripe melon
100ml/3fl oz crème fraîche
1tbsp rose syrup
a few rose petals (if you like)
a handful of cherries (optional)
Cut the melon in half and scoop out the seeds with a spoon. Cut into 8 pieces using a sharp knife. Remove the outer skin. Place the melon on a plate, with a few cherries, and spoon the crème fraîche on top. Drizzle over the rose syrup and scatter over the rose petals. Serve immediately after cutting – as the melon dries out quite quickly.
Life & Style blogs
How Old Do I Look: Microsoft’s super advanced age-guessing app is terrible at guessing how old celebrities are, too
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
The 12 most sexually satisfied countries in the world revealed
Nasa might have successfully tested a warp drive that could carry people at speeds approaching that of light
ZX Spectrum to return with Vega reboot
- 1 Indonesia executions: Death row British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford will refuse to wear a blindfold when she faces firing squad
- 2 The man who filmed the Freddie Gray video has been arrested at gunpoint
- 3 How the language you speak changes your view of the world
- 4 Tory activist asked to step down after Labour candidate Rupa Huq is 'manhandled' while questioning Boris Johnson on the campaign trail
- 5 Uploading pictures to find out how old you are gives Microsoft the right to post them wherever they want
iJobs Food & Drink
£24800 - £29000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: As one of London's leading Muse...
£14000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£28 - 45k (DOE): Guru Careers: An Accountant is needed to take control of the ...
£18000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This hotel in Chadderton is a p...