Melon with crème fraîche and rose syrup
Monday 30 June 2008
At this time of year, when the orange-fleshed melons known as charentais come into season and are perfectly, deliciously sweet, I like to serve this dish. Sometimes we use rose petals from the garden to finish it off – but make sure they have not been sprayed with anything.
1 sweet, ripe melon
100ml/3fl oz crème fraîche
1tbsp rose syrup
a few rose petals (if you like)
a handful of cherries (optional)
Cut the melon in half and scoop out the seeds with a spoon. Cut into 8 pieces using a sharp knife. Remove the outer skin. Place the melon on a plate, with a few cherries, and spoon the crème fraîche on top. Drizzle over the rose syrup and scatter over the rose petals. Serve immediately after cutting – as the melon dries out quite quickly.
Board creates magnetic field to achieve lift
Follow the latest events from this Champions League fixture
Company reveals $542m investment in start-up building 'a rocket ship for the mind"
Singer says the track was 'force-fed down people's throats'
techThe original free dating app will remain the same, developers say
Life & Style blogs
iPhone 6 'catches on fire and burns man's leg after bending in his pocket'
The hoverboard is real, and it could give rise to hoverhouses
Drink alcohol and eat meat to improve male fertility - but cut down on coffee, studies suggest
Are you ready for Crazy Doritos, the red-hot snack food craze sweeping Mexico’s streets?
The inventor of the Facebook 'like' button says he never made a 'dislike' button because he feared the 'unfortunate consequences'
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 4 The inventor of the Facebook 'like' button says he never made a 'dislike' button because he feared the 'unfortunate consequences'
- 5 Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
iJobs Food & Drink
£30 - 50k (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a SCRUM Master to joi...
£13,520: Recruitment Genius: As this role can be customer facing at times, the...
£50000 - £60000 per annum: Sauce Recruitment: A successful entertainment, even...
£25000 - £30000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: A fantastic opportunity h...