Miso rice soup with crab
Sunday 06 January 2013
Rice in broth is like chicken soup to me – food for the soul. Cooking the rice in stock gets it really flavoursome and the heat from the chilli, savouriness from the miso, crunch from the vegetables and sweetness from the crab come together to make it the most delicious of soups.
250g/8oz sushi rice
1¼ litres/2 pints light chicken stock
1 tbsp miso paste
¼ tsp sesame oil
¼ tsp rice wine vinegar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
200g/7oz cooked white crab meat
100g/3½oz mangetouts, shredded
4 spring onions, shredded
½ tsp dried chilli flakes
Put the rice in a colander and wash it under cold running water until the water runs clear.
Tip it into a large pan with the stock and bring to the boil. Simmer for 15 minutes, until the rice is cooked.
Add the miso paste, sesame oil and vinegar, then pour in the egg, stirring as you go.
Ladle into soup bowls, and serve with the crab meat, mangetouts, spring onions and chilli flakes so that people can add to their own broth.
Life & Style blogs
Church of England-raised Michael Williams describes the unexpected joys in learning about his family's Jewish faith
Babies cry at night to stop mothers procreating, scientists claim
Health warning over 88,000 foreign doctors working in the NHS
Childhood bullying 'can lead to depression and unemployment in adulthood'
Baby catches deadly meningitis infection from cat
- 1 Are you turning into your dad? The top ten signs you've embraced dad-ism revealed as survey says 38 is age men turn into their father
- 2 Video of British Muslims dancing to Pharrell Williams's hit Happy attacked as 'sinful'
- 3 Overheard in Waitrose: documenting the chatter in 'Britain's poshest supermarket'
- 4 24 people applied for the 'world's toughest job', here are their interviews
- 5 Grace Dent on TV: Game of Thrones has jumped the shark
iJobs Food & Drink
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: There are many small development projects in ...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Kaya Responsible Travel offer a variety of sp...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Volunteer with Kaya in Borneo and work on a p...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: If you have a passion for elephants and want ...