Monkfish, carrot and orange salad
Saturday 03 January 2009
Monkfish has a great firm meaty flesh and matches almost any ingredient – especially a fruity little number like this orange salad. You can use blood oranges, mandarins or clementines or ordinary oranges for this.
1 monkfish tail weighing about 600-800g filleted and skinned
A little vegetable oil for frying
A couple of handfuls of small salad leaves
2 large oranges, or 3-4 smaller ones, peeled and segmented (squeeze the remains once segmented and reserve the juice)
2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into matchstick pieces
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the dressing
The juice from the oranges
tbsp cider vinegar
2tsp grain mustard
3-4tbsp extra-virgin rapeseed or olive oil
Pre-heat a ribbed griddle or heavy-based frying pan with a little vegetable oil. Season the monkfish and cook for about 4-5 minutes on each side on a medium heat, then leave to rest on a plate.
Meanwhile simmer the orange juice in a small pan until it is reduced to about 2 tablespoons, then remove from the heat and leave to cool. Whisk in the vinegar and mustard, then the oil and finally season.
Toss the leaves with the orange segments and dressing and arrange on plates, then slice the monkfish and arrange in among the leaves.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 2 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 3 George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
- 4 Lady al-Qa’ida: On the trail of Dr Aafia Siddiqui, the world’s most wanted prisoner
- 5 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Food & Drink
£30 - 35k + Uncapped Comission (£70k Y1 OTE): Guru Careers: A Business Develop...
£18k + Uncapped Commission (£60k Y1 OTE): Guru Careers: A Graduate Sales Exe...
£25 - 60k (DOE): Guru Careers: A Web Developer / Software Developer is needed ...
£6000 - £50000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: Oracle 11...