Mushrooms on toast
Sunday 01 November 2009
This is a really good way to serve mushrooms – simple, quick and a perfect first course or light supper if accompanied by a salad comprised of autumn leaves and perhaps just a little walnut oil.
40g/2oz unsalted butter
3 stalks of marjoram, leaves only
1 clove of garlic, peeled and chopped
A pinch of sea salt
1 tbsp crème fraîche
4 slices of crusty peasant-style bread, such as pane Toscana or ciabatta
1 whole clove of garlic
1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
A pinch of sea salt
Wipe the mushrooms thoroughly then slice the porcini into quarters lengthwise but leave the girolles whole. Place a pan over a medium heat and add the butter.
Once the butter has begun to foam, add the porcini and cook for a minute or so without stirring, then add the girolles and marjoram, garlic and a little salt.
Cook, stirring only once or twice, until the mushrooms have softened and thoroughly cooked. Add the crème fraîche and stir well, turning up the heat slightly as you do so.
While the mushrooms are cooking, grill the bread until golden-brown on both sides. Remove from the heat and very gently rub with the garlic, drizzle over the olive oil and season with the salt. Spoon over the mushrooms and serve while the mushrooms are still warm.
Life & Style blogs
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
A nap a day could save your life
Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
Windows 10 automatically sends parents detailed dossier of their children's internet history and computer use
The antidote to Tinder? Majority of dating app users want relationship, rather than hook-ups, study finds
- 1 Barbarians vs Samoa interrupted by sprinklers as fans criticise lack of Wi-Fi and poor seating at West Ham's Olympic Stadium
- 2 Watch the Supermoon live: How to see the brightest Moon of the year tonight
- 3 Hulk Hogan wants to be Donald Trump's running mate in the US Presidential election
- 4 Blood Moon and Supermoon: September to bring brightest – and dimmest – full Moon of the year on same night
- 5 David De Gea to Real Madrid: Real finally get their man with £29m bid for Manchester United goalkeeper
iJobs Food & Drink
£26000 - £29000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Product Development departm...
£23000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Visitor Fundraising Team is responsi...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join ...
£30000 - £34000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Estates Team of this group ...