Mushrooms on toast
Sunday 01 November 2009
This is a really good way to serve mushrooms – simple, quick and a perfect first course or light supper if accompanied by a salad comprised of autumn leaves and perhaps just a little walnut oil.
40g/2oz unsalted butter
3 stalks of marjoram, leaves only
1 clove of garlic, peeled and chopped
A pinch of sea salt
1 tbsp crème fraîche
4 slices of crusty peasant-style bread, such as pane Toscana or ciabatta
1 whole clove of garlic
1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
A pinch of sea salt
Wipe the mushrooms thoroughly then slice the porcini into quarters lengthwise but leave the girolles whole. Place a pan over a medium heat and add the butter.
Once the butter has begun to foam, add the porcini and cook for a minute or so without stirring, then add the girolles and marjoram, garlic and a little salt.
Cook, stirring only once or twice, until the mushrooms have softened and thoroughly cooked. Add the crème fraîche and stir well, turning up the heat slightly as you do so.
While the mushrooms are cooking, grill the bread until golden-brown on both sides. Remove from the heat and very gently rub with the garlic, drizzle over the olive oil and season with the salt. Spoon over the mushrooms and serve while the mushrooms are still warm.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Woman accidentally shoots herself in the head while posing for a selfie
- 2 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
- 3 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
- 4 Female Muay Thai champion hustles coaches to give them a beating
- 5 16-year-old girl beaten and burned alive by lynch mob in Rio Bravo, Guatemala
iJobs Food & Drink
£24K + Excellent Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking an Events Coordinator ...
Salary 42,000: Royal Yachting Association Cymru Wales: The CEO is responsible ...
£35-40k (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Marketing Communicati...
£40000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A growing business that has been ope...