Nick's mulled wine
Saturday 26 December 2009
This is one of my bar manager Nick Strangeway's concoctions. It's based on an 18th-century drink – loved by the fellows of Oxford University – called a Bishop. It's great for using up leftover red wine.
1 bottle of red wine
700ml of boiling water
The zest of a lemon
1 stick of cinnamon
1 star anise
Preheat the oven to 220C/gas mark 7. Stud the orange and lemon with the cloves, place on a tray and bake in the oven for about 30 minutes until they begin to colour; then leave to cool a little, quarter the fruits and place in a saucepan with the rest of the ingredients. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Strain or leave as it is and pour in to mugs or heatproof glasses to serve.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 I was raped by another man. And now the Government wants to take away the one thing that saved my life
- 2 UK's biggest male rape charity Survivors UK has state funding slashed to zero despite 120% rise in men reporting sexual violence and seeking help
- 3 Ricky Gervais jokes about 'battering Danish DJ to death with a bicycle pump' after rabbit killed
- 4 Iran launches anti-Isis cartoon competition 'to expose true nature of Islamic State'
- 5 England 'favourites' to host 2018 World Cup following Fifa arrests
iJobs Food & Drink
£32K: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Dining Room Head Chef to work for one of ...
£27K: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Pastry Sous Chef / Experienced Pastry Che...
£24K + Excellent Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking an Events Coordinator ...
Salary 42,000: Royal Yachting Association Cymru Wales: The CEO is responsible ...