Friday 01 February 2008
As well as unusually large catches of anchovies off the Cornish and Devon coastline, there are also large numbers of octopus being landed – what next? A toban is a ceramic dish that the food is cooked and served in and this recipe is from Mark Edwards' latest book, Nobu West.
1-1.5kg octopus, cleaned
1tbsp olive oil
2tbsp ghee or butter
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
16-20 pieces of okra, halved lengthways
4tbsp yuzu juice, or the juice of 1 lemon
4tbsp dried miso, dissolved in 600ml hot water
Preheat the oven to 200C/gas mark 6.
Remove any hard suckers and the eyes from the octopus and wash thoroughly in cold water. Cut into 2-3cm chunks and dry with kitchen paper. Place the octopus into an ovenproof cooking pot with the other ingredients, except the okra, and cook in the oven for 30 minutes or until it's tender. It's difficult to put a time on braised octopus; sometimes you may find you need to cook it for around an hour. Then add the okra and return to the oven for another 10 minutes or so or until the okra is tender. Serve as a starter or main course.
Life & Style blogs
What marriage would look like if we actually followed the Bible
Overly-controlling parents cause their children lifelong psychological damage, says study
What do the emojis on Snapchat mean?
Star Wars BB-8 droid toy is real, should be impossible
Orthorexia nervosa: How becoming obsessed with healthy eating can lead to malnutrition
- 1 What marriage would look like if we actually followed the Bible
- 2 President Obama leaves touching comment on Humans of New York photo from Iran
- 3 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 4 The Chinese city where men have 'three girlfriends because there are so many women'
- 5 'Heartbreaking' Syria orphan photo wasn't taken in Syria and not of orphan
iJobs Food & Drink
£22000 - £32000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness cha...
£7500 - £10000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness chai...
COMPETITIVE: Guru Careers: A Marketing / Digital Marketing Executive (CRM, Eve...
£8 per hour: Recruitment Genius: The role is likely to be 4on 4 off, days and ...