Okra with mustard seeds
Some people can find okra off-putting, particularly if they have experienced the slimy canned stuff served in high-street Indian restaurants. When you deal with the fresh stuff, it's a completely different thing, especially if cooked briefly.
1 green chilli, thinly sliced
2tsp ground cumin
2tsp yellow mustard seeds
2tsp black mustard seeds
tsp fenugreek seeds
2 medium onions, peeled, halved and finely chopped
6 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
2 large firm tomatoes, finely chopped
250g okra, thinly sliced
200ml vegetable stock
2tbsp chopped coriander
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat the ghee in a wide saucepan or frying pan and cook the spices for a minute on a low heat or until the mustard seeds begin to pop.
Add the onion and garlic and continue cooking on a medium heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring every so often, until the onions are soft. Turn up the heat, add the okra and cook for a couple of minutes so the okra cooks evenly.
Add the stock and tomatoes, season and continue cooking until the stock has reduced right down to almost nothing. Stir in the coriander, remove from the heat, season a little more if necessary and serve.
Life & Style blogs
Planes go hybrid-electric in important step to greener flight
GTA 5: Christmas arrives in Los Santos as update brings snowball fights, festive jumpers and a homing missile launcher
'Tis the season!: Google celebrates Christmas Eve with second animated Doodle
Christmas 2014: Jesus was not born in a stable, says theologian
Pornhub: Kim Kardashian's sex tape is the most-watched porn video of all-time
- 1 Planes go hybrid-electric in important step to greener flight
- 2 North Korean prison officers 'cooked prisoner's baby and fed it to their dogs', more horrific accounts from UN report reveal
- 3 Antonio Martin shooting: Mayor says there should be 'no comparison' to Ferguson
- 4 Antonio Martin shooting: Police and protesters clash over teenager's death just five miles from Ferguson, Missouri
- 5 British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
iJobs Food & Drink
£25000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness cha...
£240 - £275 per day: Investigo: Support the global business through in-depth a...
Negotiable: Ashdown Group: Data Manager - MySQL, Shell Scripts, Java, VB Scrip...
£27000 - £32000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Application Support Analyst - near S...