Orange with orange flower water
Sunday 06 June 2010
This is very similar to spremuta d'arancia – a drink favoured by Italians during the blistering summer months when one craves something sweet and cold.
Although it consists of freshly squeezed orange juice, it is perhaps not as healthy as it first may seem, as it is laced with sugar before being poured over ice. It is the addition of orange flower water (available in supermarkets) that gives it a pretty and ethereal feel.
Transport it as I do in glass bottles with a screw-top lid – any glass bottle in which you have bought water is perfect.
It is important that it is served as chilled as possible, for its flavour is that much better. Ask your greengrocer for oranges that are suitable for squeezing.
1 litre/13/4 pints of freshly squeezed orange juice
3 tbsp caster sugar
2 tbsp orange flower water
Squeeze the orange juice as close as possible to the time of serving. Place in a jug and stir in the sugar and orange flower water. Strain into a glass jar with a screw-top lid and pack in your picnic basket.
Life & Style blogs
The mother who never gave up on her child abused by the Oxford child sex ring
Britain scrapes into top 25 countries in the world to be a mother in Save the Children report
What do the emoji on Snapchat mean?
The 12 most sexually satisfied countries in the world revealed
Uploading pictures to find out how old you are gives Microsoft the right to post them wherever they want
- 1 Technology company Alibaba posts job advert asking for 'stunning' women with qualities of adult film actress Sora Aoi
- 2 How the language you speak changes your view of the world
- 3 'Fire at every person you see': Israeli soldiers reveal they were ordered to shoot to kill in Gaza – even if the targets may have been civilians
- 4 Italian police 'reveal' what Jesus looked like as a young boy
- 5 Uploading pictures to find out how old you are gives Microsoft the right to post them wherever they want
iJobs Food & Drink
£32K: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Dining Room Head Chef to work for one of ...
£27K: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Pastry Sous Chef / Experienced Pastry Che...
£40000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: A growing business that has been ope...
£24800 - £29000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: As one of London's leading Muse...