Oxtail broth with winter pulses
If you are making the braised oxtail above, then it makes sense to cook a little extra and use the skinny tail pieces for a hearty soup. You can buy packets of mixed, quick-cooking, small, dried pulses from good supermarkets these days which is perfect for soups like this. Some don't even need soaking, so check the packet.
A good knob of butter
1 small onion, peeled, halved and finely chopped
A few sticks of celery from the recipe above, cut into rough cm dice
1 small carrot, trimmed, peeled and cut into rough cm dice
A couple of sprigs of thyme
60g small dried pulses, soaked for 2-3 hours in cold water
The remaining sauce from the oxtail plus extra beef stock to make it up to about 1.5ltrs
The remaining small ends of oxtail removed from the bone
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Melt the butter in a heavy-based saucepan and gently cook the onion, celery, carrot and thyme for 2-3 minutes, without colouring, until it softens.
Add the remaining sauce and stock, bring to the boil, add the pulses and simmer very gently for about 30 minutes or until the pulses are tender. Add the pieces of oxtail, season and simmer for a couple of minutes, then serve.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Howard Jacobson: Let's see the 'criticism' of Israel for what it really is
- 2 Instagram of US airport security chiefs: Lipstick knives and IED training kits among items seized
- 3 Brazil vs Germany World Cup 2014: In defence of Mesut Ozil - the Arsenal midfielder works magic in the shadows
- 4 PornHub begs users to stop uploading video clips of Brazil getting beaten 7-1
- 5 Tony Abbott embarrasses Australia by praising Japanese WWII military, ‘getting on the sake’ and posing for ‘crotch-shot’ photo opportunity
iJobs Food & Drink
£45-£55k OTE £75k : Charter Selection: Major London International Fashion and ...
Voluntary, reasonable expenses reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: Are you keen on...
£33000 - £45000 per annum + 8% Bonus, pension: Deerfoot IT Resources Limited: ...
£30K- £40K pa + Commision £10K + Benefits: Charter Selection: Rapidly expandin...