Oxtail with fresh green peppercorns
Saturday 19 April 2008
This sort of braised oxtail au poivre is a much simpler version of one of Hieu's classics, using fresh green peppercorns, which are very common in Vietnamese cooking.
8-12 pieces of centre-cut oxtail, trimmed of fat
2 glasses of red wine
4 onions, peeled, halved and sliced
5 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
1tbsp olive oil
40-50 fresh (or canned) green peppercorns
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 litres beef stock
Marinade the oxtail in the wine overnight in a non-reactive bowl. Pre-heat the oven to 230C/gas mark 8. Remove the oxtail from the wine and dry on some kitchen paper. Place on a baking tray, season and roast for about 30 minutes, turning every so often until browned. Turn the oven down to 175C/gas mark 4.
Meanwhile, gently cook the onion and garlic in the olive oil for 2-3 minutes until soft and transfer to an ovenproof dish. Add the green peppercorns and place the beef on top. Pour the red wine and beef stock on top, season, cover and cook in the oven for about 2 hours or until tender. Remove the meat, skim off any fat and simmer the sauce until it's thickened.
Serve with boiled white rice or noodles and Asian greens.
To see Mark Hix's exclusive cookery videos, see http://www.independent.co.uk/hixcooks
Life & Style blogs
National Burger Day: all your beefy questions answered
36-year-old skeleton of dead baby found inside Indian woman
Anal sex study reveals climate of 'coercion'
The science of saturated fat: A big fat surprise about nutrition?
Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini review: a watertight little brother to the S5 with a top flight screen
- 1 Miley Cyrus' homeless MTV VMAs date, Jesse Helt, is wanted by the police
- 2 Arizona shooting: Gun instructor accidentally killed by nine-year-old girl with Uzi
- 3 Paul Scholes: Manchester City were so good against Liverpool I felt like turning the television off
- 4 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 5 Pamela Anderson rejects ice bucket challenge because of ALS experiments on animals: 'Mice had holes drilled into their skulls'
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Food & Drink
£30 - 35k + Uncapped Comission (£70k Y1 OTE): Guru Careers: A Business Develop...
£18k + Uncapped Commission (£60k Y1 OTE): Guru Careers: A Graduate Sales Exe...
£25 - 60k (DOE): Guru Careers: A Web Developer / Software Developer is needed ...
£6000 - £50000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: Oracle 11...