Pan-fried smoked salmon with potato and horseradish salad
This is a great, delicate little starter and introducing a bit of piquant horseradish to a thick slice of smoked salmon gives it a new dimension. If you are using a whole side of salmon, just cut slices at less of an angle than normal and about cm thick – or ask at a deli counter.
4 slices of smoked salmon about cm thick and weighing about 60-80g each
250-300g small potatoes cooked in their skins and peeled
2-3 spring onions, trimmed and finely chopped
1tbsp freshly grated horseradish
4tbsp cider vinegar
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2-3tbsp olive oil
Cut the potatoes into cm-thick slices and warm them in a pan with the spring onions, horseradish, vinegar and oil and season to taste.
Heat a dry, preferably non-stick frying pan and cook the salmon for 10 seconds on each side on a high heat. Spoon the potatoes on to warmed serving plates and lay the salmon on top.
Life & Style blogs
Who is Teresa Fidalgo? Debunking the fake ghost story that's got Instagram spooked
Winter crisis in A&E: Hospitals declare 'black alerts' as admissions shatter records, but full stats still unpublished
Bill Granger recipes: Tenderstem broccoli omelette; Fried eggs with Mexican-style tomato and chilli sauce; Pan-fried cavolo nero with soft-boiled egg
Unpaid make-up artists reveal the ugly side of Miss World
Google launches 'Contributor' payment service for ad-free internet browsing
- 1 'Not suppost to cry': 9-year-old lists the worst things about being a boy
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Anti-gay hate preacher accidentally tweets 4,000 followers cartoon clip of him 'confessing' to be a 'homosexual sodomite'
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'
iJobs Food & Drink
£8 per hour: Recruitment Genius: Excellent opportunities are available for par...
£60000 - £75000 per annum + Benefits : Investigo: A global leading travel busi...
£16000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This charming and contemporary ...
£15000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness cha...