Pan-fried smoked salmon with potato and horseradish salad
This is a great, delicate little starter and introducing a bit of piquant horseradish to a thick slice of smoked salmon gives it a new dimension. If you are using a whole side of salmon, just cut slices at less of an angle than normal and about cm thick – or ask at a deli counter.
4 slices of smoked salmon about cm thick and weighing about 60-80g each
250-300g small potatoes cooked in their skins and peeled
2-3 spring onions, trimmed and finely chopped
1tbsp freshly grated horseradish
4tbsp cider vinegar
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2-3tbsp olive oil
Cut the potatoes into cm-thick slices and warm them in a pan with the spring onions, horseradish, vinegar and oil and season to taste.
Heat a dry, preferably non-stick frying pan and cook the salmon for 10 seconds on each side on a high heat. Spoon the potatoes on to warmed serving plates and lay the salmon on top.
Life & Style blogs
Men in crop tops seem to be trending thanks to Kid Cudi, the social media and the catwalk
What is ALS and the Ice Bucket Challenge?
Greggs Google fail: bakery chain falls afoul of search engine's algorithms with 'unofficial' logo
Anal sex study reveals climate of 'coercion'
Is this the end of apps? New research says a third of us don't bother to download
- 1 Michael Brown shooting: Police shoot and kill second young black man near Ferguson
- 2 James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
- 3 Why are UK rail fares so expensive?
- 4 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 5 Cilla Black defends Cliff Richard: 'I am positive that the allegations are without foundation'
iJobs Food & Drink
£6000 - £50000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: Oracle 11...
£17K OTE £30K: Charter Selection: Highly successful and innovative specialist...
£45000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Working with an exciting ...
£23,000: Sauce Recruitment: A global leader in sports and entertainment is now...