Saturday 04 December 2010
No one serves croquette potatoes anymore; I think they died a death during the Seventies when every pub and restaurant used to serve those frozen ones – but these parsnip-based versions elevate them to a higher level.
250g floury potatoes for mashing, peeled and roughly chopped
250g parsnips, peeled and roughly chopped
2 small eggs, beaten
50-60g fresh white breadcrumbs
Salt and freshly ground white pepper
Cook the potatoes and parsnips in boiling salted water in separate pans, then drain, mix together and return to the heat for a minute to dry them out and evaporate any excess water. Preferably using a potato ricer, mash the potatoes and parsnips then season and mix well. Mould the mixture into cylinder shapes about 3cm long and a little slimmer than a wine cork.
Have the flour ready in a dish and carefully roll the croquettes in it, holding them carefully with your fingers and shaking off any excess. Next roll them in the beaten egg, and finally roll them in the breadcrumbs.
Preheat about 8cm of oil to 160-180C in a large thick-bottomed saucepan or electric deep fryer.
When the oil is hot, fry the croquettes a few pieces at a time for 3-4 minutes until they are golden and drain on some kitchen paper. Serve immediately.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Pro-Russian rebel 'admits to shooting down plane'
- 2 Louis van Gaal gets tough with Manchester United players, with Darren Fletcher and Luke Shaw berated in public and Phil Jones left looking bemused
- 3 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 4 Peaches Geldof inquest: Tragic final moments of socialite's life reveal she lied to husband about failed heroin tests
- 5 Israel has discovered that it's no longer so easy to get away with murder in the age of social media
iJobs Food & Drink
£40000 - £60000 per annum + Pension, Healthcare : Deerfoot IT Resources Limite...
£30000 - £45000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: VB.NET a...
Unpaid voluntary role: Old Royal Naval College: To assist the Visitor Experien...
£45-£55k OTE £75k : Charter Selection: Major London International Fashion and ...