Partridge with puffball and elderberries
Saturday 26 September 2009
Puffball mushrooms are a great versatile mushroom that you can serve on toast, simply diced up and pan-fried like ordinary mushrooms for a light lunch. They tend to vary massively in size, so you might have some left over for breakfast that you can slide a fried egg on to.
1 medium-sized puffball mushroom, weighing about 400-600g
A little vegetable or corn oil for brushing
4 oven-ready partridges
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
A couple of good knobs of butter, softened
A handful of small salad leaves (optional)
For the dressing
2tbsp cider vinegar
2tsp Tewksbury or Dijon mustard
3tbsp rapeseed oil
Preheat the oven to 220/gas mark 7. Season the partridge and rub with the softened butter, then roast in the oven for 15 minutes; remove and leave to rest. Meanwhile, heat a ribbed griddle pan or heavy-based frying pan, brush the puffball with oil and season and grill for 3-4 minutes on each side. Make the dressing by whisking the vinegar, mustard and rapeseed oil together and seasoning; then stir in the elderberries.
Lay the puffball on to warmed serving plates. Remove the legs from the partridge and cut away the breasts from the bone with a sharp knife. Cut the breasts in half and arrange on the puffball with the legs. Spoon the dressing around and scatter the leaves over if using.
Life & Style blogs
Report finds English children among the unhappiest in world
Anal sex study reveals climate of 'coercion'
Ice Bucket Challenge: ALS Association doesn't yet know what to do with all of the money raised
The science of saturated fat: A big fat surprise about nutrition?
The best gowns on the red carpet of 2014 Venice Film Festival
- 1 Ashya King missing: Police hunt five-year-old boy with brain tumour snatched from Southampton hospital by his parents
- 2 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 Botched ice bucket challenge leaves man critically injured after plane drops hundreds of gallons of water
- 5 Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Food & Drink
£30 - 35k + Uncapped Comission (£70k Y1 OTE): Guru Careers: A Business Develop...
£18k + Uncapped Commission (£60k Y1 OTE): Guru Careers: A Graduate Sales Exe...
£25 - 60k (DOE): Guru Careers: A Web Developer / Software Developer is needed ...
£6000 - £50000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: Oracle 11...