Pea soup, poached hen egg
A special recipe to try today, as part of the Meat-Free Monday campaign.
6 small hen eggs
1kg frozen peas
1 large onion, chopped
800ml vegetable stock
100ml single cream
Salt and pepper
Poach the eggs in lightly salted boiling water for about 3 minutes, until the whites are just set. Refresh in ice cold water, then drain and trim the whites with a pair of scissors if necessary.
Sweat the onion in the butter over a low heat, with out letting the onion colour. When soft add the peas, season and sweat over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add the boiling vegetable stock bring to the boil, then add the cream and simmer for 5 minutes. Blend in a food processor, and then pass through a fine sieve.
Place the warmed poached egg into a soup bowl, season with salt and pepper, bring the soup to the boil, whisk with a hand blender, and then pour around the poached egg.
Life & Style blogs
Pioneering 3D printing used to rebuild British man's face
Tomnod: How to join the virtual search party scanning satellite imagery for missing flight MH370
25 years of the World Wide Web: Tim Berners-Lee explains how it all began
The Web is 25: Let's look at some baby photos of your favourite websites
iOS 7.1: How to get iPhone update, and what to do once you've got it
- 1 Hells of residence: Inside Macedonia's horrifying student accommodation - where the walls are green and the food is black
- 2 Girl found in the Amazon rainforest with neighbour Grover Morales after going missing for 7 months
- 3 Grace Dent: Who cares if she spells it Barraco Barner? Gemma Worrall is more employable than some bookish arts graduate
- 4 Rampaging elephant smashes up house but then 'saves crying baby trapped under debris'
- 5 Disney's Frozen is 'very evil' gay propaganda, says Christian pastor
iJobs Food & Drink
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Flight Centre Limited: Exceptional opportunity for ...
£23000 - £27000 per annum + Award-Winning Benefits: Flight Centre Limited: Exc...
£25000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits: Corporate Traveller: Opportunity for a B...
£20000 - £45000 per annum + Benefits: Corporate Traveller: We're looking for t...