Pecan pie sundae
Sunday 07 July 2013
I must admit that I've taken quite a liberty in comparing this to a pecan pie – well, there are pecans, but the caramel and digestives are not exactly authentic… Once you taste it, you'll see where I'm coming from.
500ml/17fl oz tub vanilla ice-cream
3 tbsp thick caramel sauce or dulce de leche
150g/5oz pecan halves, roughly chopped
15g/½oz unsalted butter, melted
3 tbsp demerara sugar
100g/3½oz digestive biscuits, broken into rough crumbs
1 tbsp icing sugar
Take the ice-cream out of the freezer and leave it to soften slightly. Tip it into a bowl and gently fold in the caramel sauce. Cover and freeze until needed.
Preheat the oven to 180C/ 350F/Gas 4. Mix together the pecans, butter, sugar and a large pinch of salt. Tip into a roasting tin. Cook for 6-8 minutes, stirring once, until golden. Allow to cool then mix in the digestive crumbs.
Scoop some ice-cream into tumblers, top with the pecan and digestive mixture, more ice-cream and a final topping of nuts and digestives to finish. Serve immediately.
Life & Style blogs
Direct from the trenches: The objects that defined the First World War
Amputee drummer gains 'superhuman' skills with robotic arm
Fenwicks department store withdraws Boy London clothing over 'Nazi' eagle logo complaints
Stevia wonder: The plant that's a super sugar alternative – and free from calories and carbs
International Women's Day 2014: Google makes 80 second video of inspirational women from across the world for animated Doodle
- 1 International Women's Day 2014: The shocking statistics that show why it is still so important
- 2 Orgasm machine to deliver climax at the push of a button
- 3 Singapore sting: Sky-high prices are pushing locals to the edge of affordability
- 4 Liam Neeson turned down James Bond role because late wife Natasha Richardson said she wouldn't marry him if he took it
- 5 Dead woman's body found sitting in a car after six years after direct debits ran $54,000 bank account dry
iJobs Food & Drink
£12000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: A small but growing chain of boutique hot...
£12000 - £18000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: Our client is a high-end niche t...
£20000 - £40000 per annum + Award-Winning Benefits: Flight Centre Business Tra...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Increases in tourism, the introduction of new...