Peppered mushroom and Stilton pie
Monday 15 June 2009
A special recipe to try today, as part of the Meat-Free Monday campaign.
225g (8oz) plain flour
100g (3 ½ oz) butter
A little milk to bind, if needed
1 egg, beaten
1 onion, sliced
500g (1lb 2oz) button mushrooms, halved
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp green peppercorns in brine, drained
250ml (9 fl oz) vegetable stock
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
200g (7oz) Stilton cheese, crumbled
For the pastry, simply pulse the ingredients together in a food processor to form a dough, adding a little milk if needed. Wrap in cling film and chill for at least 30 minutes.
Now make the filling. Start by frying the onion and mushrooms in oil until soft.
Add the tomato puree and cook for 5 minutes, then add the soy sauce, peppercorns and stock. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat slightly and cook until the liquid has reduced by half. Season to taste.
Divide the filling mixture between four individual pie dishes. Divide the Stilton between the dishes too.
Preheat the oven to 200ºC/ Fan 180ºC/Gas 6. Cut the pastry into four pieces and roll into four circles, just bigger than the dishes.
Damp the rim of the dishes with water and cover the pie dishes with pastry, trim the edges and cut a little hole in the top of each. Brush all over with egg wash to glaze. Bake the pies for about 20 minutes until crisp and golden. Serve with buttery mash and green beans, if liked.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Sofyen Belamouadden murder: The inside story of a crime that horrified Britain
- 2 How to turn off/stop 'seen by' on Facebook: Disable it to make your chats seem less passive aggressive
- 3 Company breaks open Apple Watch to discover what it says is 'planned obsolescence'
- 4 'We're not heroes, just tourists': Swedish police officers on holiday stop vicious assault on New York subway
- 5 Buckingham Palace guard who attacked passers-by in 'most most violent piece of CCTV footage' police officer had seen walks free
iJobs Food & Drink
£35 - 45k: Guru Careers: An MI Developer is needed to join the leading provide...
£20000 - £22500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This leisure organisation manag...
£25000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Delivering an inspiring, engagi...
£17500 - £20500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They are looking for a great te...