Pickled cucumbers and fennel flowers
Makes approx a 1-litre kilner jar
When your fennel has gone to seed it's a shame not to use the flowering or seeded heads in a pickle. You can use large cucumbers or the small ridge cucumbers for this. Serve with cheese or any smoked fish or meats.
1-2 large cucumbers, halved lengthways and the seeds scooped out
300ml white wine or cider vinegar
3 large shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
2tbsp caster sugar
6-7 heads of flowering or seeded fennel tops
Salt and coarsely ground black pepper
Slice the cucumbers thinly; put them in a bowl. Bring the vinegar, shallots and sugar to the boil, season, remove from the heat, leave to cool, then add the fennel flowers. Pour over the cucumbers and leave at room temperature for an hour, stirring every so often.
Transfer to a sterilised kilner jar and refrigerate or leave in a cool larder if you are going to keep them for a while; or in a covered bowl in the fridge if you are using them within a few days.
Life & Style blogs
Should doctors and patients learn to plan humane, happier endings rather than trying to prolong life?
http://www.nyxcosmetics.co.uk/" width="88" height="52" />Black Friday 2014: Best beauty deals
New generation of hi-tech planes lead race to resurrect supersonic air travel
Girl, 7, gets Tesco to remove 'stupid' sign suggesting superheroes are 'for boys'
A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 1 Exodus Gods and Kings casting controversy: Ridley Scott would never cast 'Mohammad so-and-so from such-and-such' in lead role
- 2 This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
- 3 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school
- 4 Scientists predict green energy revolution after incredible new graphene discoveries
- 5 Michael Buerk wishes he'd killed Jimmy Savile when he had the chance - by pushing him overboard a cruise ship
iJobs Food & Drink
£15000 - £16800 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Tyre Technician / Mechanic is...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: Due to expansion the Largest Independent Motor...
£40000 - £60000 per annum + £100,000 OTE: h2 Recruit Ltd: Birmingham, Derby, L...
£55000 - £65000 per annum: Investigo: My client, a global leader in their fiel...