Pigeon and wild blaeberry salad
Pigeons are very good value compared to a grouse, and this is a great way to get several servings out of them. The birds are at their best now, after a summer of feeding on wild berries. If you can't find blaeberries or little wild blueberries, then elderberries would also work well.
Once you've made this dish, you can make a nice broth with the bones.
Two oven-ready pigeons
60-70g butter, softened
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
A small handful of blaeberries
A few handfuls of small flavoursome salad leaves and herbs
For the dressing
1tbsp red wine vinegar
½tsp Tewkesbury or Dijon mustard
4tbsp rapeseed oil
Pre-heat the oven to 240C/Gas mark 8, season the pigeon and rub the breasts with butter. Roast for about 12-15 minutes, keeping them nice and pink, then leave to rest.
Meanwhile make the dressing by whisking all of the ingredients together and seasoning to taste.
To serve, remove the breasts from the carcass and cut them into half a dozen slices and remove all of the leg meat and shred it. Arrange the leaves on four serving plates with the pigeon and blaeberries and spoon over the dressing.
Life & Style blogs
Who is Teresa Fidalgo? Debunking the fake ghost story that's got Instagram spooked
Paris Fashion Week: Skirting the issue for the stylish boys' brigade
Losing appetite as you age? Try adding umami flavour to restore the 'joy of taste'
The enemy within: People who hear voices in their heads are being encouraged to talk back
Miss Universe 2015: A beefeater, a yellow tree and an entire hockey game - the bizarre national costumes
- 1 Paris attacks: Do not call Charlie Hebdo killers 'terrorists', BBC says
- 2 Man who held up 'hire me' sign at Waterloo station returns a year later with 'I'm hiring' sign
- 3 UK weather: Snow to fall in the coming week with sub-zero temperatures to last until early February
- 4 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 5 The enemy within: People who hear voices in their heads are being encouraged to talk back
iJobs Food & Drink
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity to join a is a...
Unpaid voluntary work: Old Royal Naval College: Join our team of friendly volu...
£8 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This airport parking organisation are looking...
£8 per hour: Recruitment Genius: Do you enjoy bus driving and are looking for ...