Pintail duck with sprout tops and hazelnuts
These small wild ducks such as widgeon, pintail and the smaller teal are perfect individual servings for a dinner party. If you are using teal you will need to serve a couple of birds per person.
4 small oven-ready wild ducks like pintail or widgeon
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
A couple of knobs of butter
250g sprout tops, trimmed of any thick stalks
30g shelled hazelnuts
Preheat the oven to 240C/gas mark 8.
Season the birds inside and out and rub with a little butter. Roast for about 15 minutes (less for teal), keeping them nice and pink.
While the birds are cooking bring a pan of salted water to the boil and cook the sprout tops for 2-3 minutes until tender; then drain.
Melt some butter in a pan and cook the hazelnuts for a minute until they begin to colour, then toss in the sprout tops and season to taste.
Arrange the sprout tops on warmed serving plates with the duck on top.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Planes go hybrid-electric in important step to greener flight
- 2 Antonio Martin shooting: Police and protesters clash over teenager's death just five miles from Ferguson, Missouri
- 3 British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
- 4 Hip hop is both racial and political, and for Iggy Azalea to suggest otherwise is insulting
- 5 Man hospitalised with pneumonia after downing eggnog at office Christmas party
iJobs Food & Drink
£25000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The fastest growing fitness cha...
£240 - £275 per day: Investigo: Support the global business through in-depth a...
Negotiable: Ashdown Group: Data Manager - MySQL, Shell Scripts, Java, VB Scrip...
£27000 - £32000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Application Support Analyst - near S...