Sunday 21 April 2013
Maybe it's the Australian in me, but I'd always choose a friand
over a cupcake. With no need for whisking, this is perfect for
anyone who isn't a confident baker. To avoid anyone having to go
searching for those elusive friand moulds, I've cooked them in a
standard muffin tin.
100g/3½oz shelled pistachios
Sunflower oil, for greasing
70g/3oz plain flour, plus extra for dusting
165g/5½oz icing sugar, sifted
6 eggs whites, lightly beaten with a fork
115g/4oz unsalted butter, melted, plus extra for greasing Finely grind the pistachios in a food processor and set aside. Preheat the oven to 150C/300F/Gas2. Grease and flour a non-stick 12-hole muffin tin.
Mix the flour, ground pistachios and sugar. Stir in the egg whites until just combined, then add in the butter. Spoon the batter into the tin and bake for 30 to 35 minutes until pale gold. The friands should spring back when touched.
Remove from the oven and leave in the tin for 5 minutes before turning on to a wire rack to cool. Dust with a little icing sugar and serve.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 William Shakespeare's 450th birthday: 50 everyday phrases that came from the Bard
- 2 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 3 Man gives barefoot bus passenger the shoes off his feet
- 4 Malaysia Airlines flight MH370: Concerns grow among search officials that missing jet ‘may have landed somewhere else’
- 5 50-year mystery of the ocean ‘quack’ finally solved by scientists
iJobs Food & Drink
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: There are many small development projects in ...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Kaya Responsible Travel offer a variety of sp...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: Volunteer with Kaya in Borneo and work on a p...
Unpaid: Kaya Responsible Travel: If you have a passion for elephants and want ...