Potato skins with spiced herb mayonnaise
Saturday 11 July 2009
When I'm making mash I first cook the potatoes in their skins (the flavour is earthier as the skins retain flavour). After scooping out the flesh for the mash, I leaving a little potato on the skins so that they don't end up too thin, and reserve them for a delicious snack. They're perfect popped in the deep-fryer and served with this spiced-up mayonnaise.
The cooked skins from 4-6 large baking potatoes
Vegetable or corn oil for deep frying
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the mayonnaise
3-4 tbsp good quality or homemade mayonnaise
1tbsp chopped green herbs such as chives, parsley, chervil
1 medium red chilli, finely chopped
Preheat about 8cm of oil to 160-180C in a large thick-bottomed saucepan or electric deep-fat fryer.
Meanwhile, mix all of the ingredients together for the mayonnaise and season. Cook the potato skins in the hot fat for 3-4 minutes until crisp, turning them occasionally.
Remove from the fat and drain on some kitchen paper. Serve with the mayonnaise.
Life & Style blogs
What is Lyme disease, what are the symptoms and is treatment readily available?
iPhone 7 (or iPhone 6S) leaked pictures show similarities to older model — but Apple is fixing the biggest issue of all
The face of fertility: why do men find women who are near ovulation more attractive?
'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
Optical illusion turns blue demon into brunette
- 1 David Cameron refers to 83-year-old Labour MP Dennis Skinner as 'Jurassic Park'
- 2 iPhone 7 (or iPhone 6S) leaked pictures show similarities to older model — but Apple is fixing the biggest issue of all
- 3 'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
- 4 German ethics council calls for incest between siblings to be legalised by Government
- 5 Alwaleed bin Talal: Saudi Prince to donate entire $32bn fortune to charity
iJobs Food & Drink
£33000 - £38000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A global player and world leade...
£18000 - £24000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: If you are friendly, sociable, ...
£22300 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This museum group is looking for a Payro...
£39,000: ICE ICT: Specific and detailed knowledge and experience of travel sys...