These are a great way to use an excess of pumpkin as a dessert with ice-cream.
500g peeled weight of sweet orange-fleshed pumpkin or butternut squash, cut into even-sized chunks
40g butter, softened
30g caster sugar
A good pinch of salt
¼tsp vanilla essence
¼tsp powdered cinnamon
1 large egg, beaten
70g self-raising flour, sifted
Vegetable or corn oil for deep frying
50g caster sugar
2tsp ground cinnamon
Cook the pumpkin in lightly salted water for about 15-20 minutes until tender, then drain and blend in a food processor, leaving to cool.
Put all of the ingredients except the flour and oil in a food processor and blend briefly until smooth. Add the flour and blend again briefly, then transfer to a bowl.
Preheat about 8cm of oil to 160-180C in a large, thick-bottomed saucepan or electric deep-fat fryer. Drop teaspoons and tablespoons of the mixture into the oil, a few pieces at a time, turning them as they cook with a slotted spoon and fry until crisp and golden brown.
Next, remove the fritters from the oil, drain on some kitchen paper briefly and transfer to a dish with the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Toss them around for a few moments until lightly coated. Serve hot.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 BBC told new political editor must be 'impartial' with Nick Robinson reportedly stepping down
- 2 Number of young homeless people in Britain is 'more than three times the official figures'
- 3 Humans of New York image of crying gay teen receives best response yet from Ellen DeGeneres
- 4 The map showing the most dangerous tourist destinations in Europe, according to the Foreign Office
- 5 Swedish minister gives strongest case yet on why EU should stop turning away asylum seekers
iJobs Food & Drink
£15000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: To support their continued grow...
£33000 - £38000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A global player and world leade...
£18000 - £24000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: If you are friendly, sociable, ...
£22300 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This museum group is looking for a Payro...