1 small and sweet-fleshed, ripe pumpkin, peeled, seeded and then cut into 2cm chunks
A good knob of butter
1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
1 litre single cream
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
150g mature cheddar, grated
50g fresh white breadcrumbs
20-30g pumpkin seeds
Preheat the oven to 180C/gas mark 4. Melt the butter in a pan, add the onion and garlic and cook gently for 2-3 minutes.
Add the cream; bring to the boil and season to taste. Stir in 120g of the grated cheese. Arrange the pumpkin chunks in an ovenproof serving dish and pour over the hot cream mixture.
Place the dish in the centre of a deep roasting tin. Fill the tin with boiling water to halfway up the sides of the gratin dish (this will act as a bain-marie, or water bath) and transfer to the oven. Bake for 45 minutes.
Mix the remaining cheese with the breadcrumbs and pumpkin seeds, scatter over the gratin and continue cooking for another 15-20 minutes, until browned.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 'Women should not laugh in public,' says Turkey's Deputy Prime Minister in morality speech
- 2 The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
- 3 Is Ebola coming to Britain? UK health officials issue warning to doctors as outbreak fears grow
- 4 Richard Dawkins says 'date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse' on Twitter
- 5 Danish TV reporter is all business up top, all party down below
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Food & Drink
£23,000: Sauce Recruitment: A global leader in sports and entertainment is now...
£40000 - £60000 per annum + Pension, Healthcare : Deerfoot IT Resources Limite...
£30000 - £45000 per annum + Bonus+Benefits+Package: Harrington Starr: VB.NET a...
Unpaid voluntary role: Old Royal Naval College: To assist the Visitor Experien...